13 - Urges and Survivability

Thomas didn't know exactly why he did it

A part of him was being eaten away by his ferocious curiosity and hunger for answers, whilst another part of him wasn't as clear.

When Joan ran into the maze, he had an overwhelming urge to protect her. It took ahold of his chest and made his heart stop in its tight grip. It propelled his feet towards her, it made his hand reach for her sleeve.

He couldn't let anything happen to her.

Now, staring into her angered eyes made him realize what situation this urge led him to.

"Thomas, what the hell??" She scolded as she stood, her hands brushing away the dirt on her cargo pants.

"You can run in but I can't?" Thomas argued as he also stood. Behind them, Minho spoke up with agitation laced in his voice.

"Both of you shanks just killed yourself. Hope you're happy."

Joan spun on her heel to face her friend, her fists clenched.

"I came in to help your asses. I didn't think the Greenie would follow me." She huffed, an arm outstretched to motion to Thomas.

"Hey, I wanted to help too!" Thomas replied.

"Wow, you guys are sooo generous. Congratulations, the Glade will be losing four people instead of just two. You've outdone yourselves."

Joan huffed before going to Alby's side and examining him.

"He got stung?"

Minho gulped and nodded, silent.

A sick feeling overtook Joan's stomach, remembering Peter and how he was also stung during the day. What was happening?

Thomas's eyes darted from Alby to the ivy covered walls, a lightbulb turning on in his head.

"Guys, we can tie him up and hide him in the ivy." He said, his neck craning to see the wall of foliage fully.

Minho and Joan shared a look before both hoisting Alby up and dragging him towards the wall.

Thomas then tied a thick tendril of ivy around Alby, and Joan and Minho moved him higher up on the wall and under some leaves to conceal him.

"Just a little more!" Joan huffed as Alby was hoisted a few more inches.

A nearby screech made them freeze, their heads whipping to their right.

"Shit." Minho cursed, his eyes wide.

"Hold on, let me tie him off!" Joan yelled as she started to tie a knot in the ivy.

However, Minho had already ran down the corridor and vanished around the corner.

Thomas and Joan looked at eachother, now realizing that they were on their own.