11- Triggers and Truces

The Greenie found himself hauling firewood with some other Gladers into a fire pit

The Greenie found himself hauling firewood with some other Gladers into a fire pit. Apparently, tonight there was going to be a bonfire in his honor.

The boy felt a bit excited, but still strange. He was still getting accustomed to the Glade and questions still ran wild in his head.

When will I remember my name? Is that girl still mad at me? Why is she the only girl here?

He was snapped from his thoughts as Newt called out to him.

"You better step back, unless you wanna get toasty."

With a start, he got up and backed away from the pyre of wood as some Gladers threw lit sticks onto it, the logs bursting into flames.

The glow of the fire illuminated Joan's face, who was sitting nearby. She gazed at the flames as she was drawn away deep into her thoughts.

Why can I still feel him? Why am I still so afraid?

She was frustrated. She didn't understand why she was still so, distraught. Surely she was stronger than this?

She looked over as Minho sat next to her, a small friendly smile on his face.

"You okay?" He asked gently.

"Yeah. I'm fine." She flatly answered, her gaze flickering down to the dirt beneath her feet.

"I'm not stupid. You're obviously not alright." He retorted bluntly.

Joan huffed.

"I just need time is all."

In the corner of her eye, she saw Minho perk up, his eyes glinting.

"If you need a laugh, Greenie's about to get his ass beat by Gally." He said, followed by a grin.

The girl whipped her head around to see Gally looming over the poor Greenie, his face painted with a mischievous smirk.

The Greenie stood tall, his face showing bravery as he circled Gally. In response, Gally grinned before charging him.