12- Ponderings and Action

Thomas walked away from the homestead, his steps having a slight bounce to them

Thomas walked away from the homestead, his steps having a slight bounce to them. The glade was mostly dark by now, the bonfire's flames slowly simmering down.

As he walked towards the hammocks hanging under the grove of trees, someone stopped him.

"Thomas."

It was Alby, a utility knife in one hand and a torch in the other, the light basking his face in a yellow glow. Thomas stopped in his tracks.

"You gotta write your name on the wall." He motioned to the maze with the blade.

Thomas nodded and then followed the older boy to the wall, his brown eyes grazing over the names scribed there prior.

Each name was different, probably matching their corresponding Glader's personality. His eyes stopped when he saw one name, a small crown carved above it.

JOAN

The corner of his mouth twitched upwards in a tiny lopsided smile. However, his expression loosened once he spotted the name near hers, it crossed out.

P̶E̶T̶E̶R̶

The boy then began to take notice of names that were in the same state, harsh marks ground across each letter.

"Not everyone makes it sometimes. It's hard, but it's life." Alby spoke up, noticing Thomas's unease. With the yellow glow of the torch, the stone looked daunting to him.

Finally, he took the knife and etched his name into the stone a few inches below Joan's. He then handed the knife back to Alby before retreating back to his hammock.

There, he changed into a white tank top before settling into the cacooning fabric. His eyes drifted upwards towards the night sky before they closed.

"Thomas, we gotta do this."

Flashes. Voices. It was all a blur. The boy couldn't make sense of the things he was seeing.

His brown eyes shot open as a small gasp left his mouth, the morning air invading his nostrils once he inhaled.