15 - Change and Repercussions

Joan felt better after she had taken a sponge bath in the homestead

Joan felt better after she had taken a sponge bath in the homestead. Of course she wished for a real shower, but even having this was a luxury compared to the boys, who preferred to take dips in the creek located in the corner of the Glade.

Afterwards, a Medjack had assessed her cuts and properly bandaged them. Once again, no words were said about her odd blood, as no explanations could be thought of.

Finally, she was making her way towards the meeting hall, taking extra care in not using her left leg as much.

Besides, who hurries to a meeting about your punishment?

Finally, she arrived and sat down in one of the chairs at the front of the room, instinctively leaning back in her seat.

A mere 2 minutes before the meeting was set to start.

Gally looked at her with an annoyed expression, his arms crossed.

"Glad you could finally make it, Joan."

"Nice to see you too, Gally."

She didn't care that she was being a thorn in his side. She had survived a Griever attack, she felt lucky to have survived the night.

A satisfied smirk appeared on her face as she saw a few Gladers grin in the corner of her eye. A few feet away, Thomas sat in another chair, him giving her a glance.

Finally, Newt spoke up.

"We're here today to discuss the punishment for Joan and Thomas's actions of going into the maze."

Gally then turned to Joan before questioning her.

"Why did you run in?"

Joan shifted her gaze towards the Gladers before speaking.

"I saw Minho struggling with Alby and I wanted to help. Minho couldn't possibly take care of Alby by himself in the maze."

Next, Gally's gaze met Thomas's, his eyes boring into the boy's darker ones.

"And why did you run in Thomas? The same reason she did?"

Joan noticed the boy's Adam's apple bob as he tried to come up with an answer, which she did for him.

"Yes. Leave him out of this, I'm the one who ran in first. He was just following me."

"But he killed a Griever. Don't you think that's bad? We've coexisted with these things for 3 years, and he just killed one." Gally argued, his words now directed at the Gladers.

The Gladers whispered amongst one another as they digested his statement, them becoming paranoid.

"What else was he supposed to do? Sit down and have tea? Discuss the weather?" Joan interjected, which caused some boys to snicker.