6 - Betrayal and Displacement

Joan sat beside Peter as he laid on the cot, his breathes deep and slow. Her heart ached in worry as she watched him take in each breathe.

It had been 24 hours since he was stung, and he didn't show signs of healing yet. Joan couldn't help but wonder- How did he get stung during the day?

The girl quickly shook the eerie thought away, and instead focused on Peter.

Just then, Newt walked in with a tray of food.

"You haven't been eating, Joan." he set it down beside her, a worried look on his face.

"I'm fine," she simply answered, "But thanks."

Newt stood there, studying her with his brown eyes.

"He would've wanted you to rest and eat y'know." he remarked.

Joan sighed and rubbed her face, letting out a shrug.

"I know. I just can't stomach it." she admitted. Newt put a hand on her shoulder.

"I understand. But still, rest when you can." He said. Joan nodded in response.

Newt silently left the room, and Joan ate small portions of the food he gave her. The Glader took a deep breathe and got up, deciding to get some fresh air.

Joan walked out of the Medjack hut, the sounds of The Glade enveloping around her. In the distance, some boys laughed, and closer to her a goat bellowed. In the background, there was a symphony of birds chirping and flying about, their wings outstretched as they soared freely.

Joan watched the birds soar, wishing she could be the same. She longed to grow some wings and to fly up high, where no one could bother her. Where she could think. Then, a thought struck her.

I should go to my garden. I can think there.

Making up her mind, Joan made her way to the corner of the Glade. There, the entanglement of dark ivy met with the colorful blooms of her geraniums and blanket of daisies. She found herself inhaling deeply, savoring the fresh scent of greenery. She immediately felt the tension in her body release as she was soothed with zen. She sat down amongst the flowers, tenderly checking their leaves for pesky bugs. She didn't know how much time had passed before she was interrupted.

Suddenly, she heard a twig snap, and the hairs on her arms stood at attention. Joan quickly looked over in the direction of the sound, and her heart skipped a beat.

Peter was standing a few meters away, his wrinkled clothing soaked with sweat and his hands balled into fists. The hair on his forehead stuck to his skin, and below it, his eyes were darting erratically, until they landed on Joan.

***

To Thomas' dismay, the staff of WCKD had kept him away from the surveillance systems for a while. Instead of his usual duty, today Thomas was testing blood samples, which was usually Teresa's job. In fact, the staff paired them together for the activity. The lab was silent except for the hum of equipment and the occasional click of glass slides going under the microscopes.

Teresa watched Thomas, and decided to speak with him privately.

You doing okay Tom?

Thomas didn't show a reaction. He was far too used to her speaking in his head to show one.

Yeah.

He didn't contribute any more to the conversation. A large part of his mind was occupied with his thoughts. He felt guilty for spying on Joan so much, and for invading her privacy.