Chapter Eight

For two weeks, everything had been quiet and everyone had gotten into their own routine. None of them had spoken to their family since they left two weeks ago. Jake was used to not speaking to his family for weeks on end. Milly on the other hand, not so much.

Milly was keeping her socializing at the minimum. She was growing close to Alice but it was a slow process. She still blamed Jake for the situation she was in. Milly looked out into the infinite fields of green grass before glancing over at Alice and let out a long deep sigh.

Alice raised an eyebrow. "What's bothering you, Milly?"

"How long do we have to stay here?"

"You know this answer already. Until those men are caught and it is safe to go home."

"But how do you know I'm in danger?"

Alice studied the Italian girl before her. "Because it's better to be safe than sorry. They all saw you leave with Jake... do you really want to put your family in danger?"

Milly shook her head. "I guess you're right. I don't like this and I didn't ask for anyone's help."

Alice smiled softly. "No but you are getting it anyways." She glanced down at her watch before standing. "Look, I got a few errands I need to run while I'm here. I'll be back shortly. If you need anything ask Jake or Jason. They'll be more than happy to help you."

Milly watched the woman leave. She leaned forward, resting her elbow on her knee with her head in her palm. Milly hated that she was essentially kidnapped by the government but there wasn't much she could do. She could run away.... She just wouldn't get far. Especially since she had no money and a fake ID.

Milly didn't know how long she sat there, staring out into the open fields before a voice disturbed her silence. She turned to see Jake standing there, staring at her.

"What do you want, Jake?"

Jake huffed and frustratingly ran a hand through his dark hair. "Come on, we are the only ones here and I want to show you something."

Milly wasn't sure if she should trust him and Jake wasn't sure that she would follow him. He lead her to the barn where several horses were kept. There were two horses that were already saddled and ready to go. He motioned for Milly to come over and stand beside a dark chestnut quarter horse. "This here is Chestnut. She would love for you to ride her. Have you ever ridden before?"

Milly was enchanted by the magnificent beast before here. She patted the horses nose before running her hand through its mane. "Yes, I'm familiar with ridding. I used to take lessons and compete. She's beautiful." Milly gracefully climbed into the saddle and looked at Jake who was climbing onto a paint horse. "I didn't even know there were horses here."

Jake smiled, finally finding a way to get to Milly. He had been trying relentlessly to get her to talk to him again. "Ya, you find things if you just didn't stay in your room all day. This pretty girl is Lilly."

Jake led them out of the barn and towards the one part of the property that was wooded. They rode in silence most of the way except for a few comments here and there. Ten minutes later, the flat terrain changed into one slightly hilly as the crossed over a creek. He paused for a few moments to let the horses take a drink.

Jake pulled out a canteen of his own before taking a swig and passing it to Milly. "We are almost there."

"Where are we going?"

Jake grinned wickedly. "You'll see."

Milly wasn't sure if she was in the mood for a surprise but she continued on anyways. The horses adjusted to the hilly terrain as they made there way up a small hill. Suddenly they came to a stop. Jake slid off of Lilly before tying her to a tree. Milly copied him.

"We walk the rest of the way." He led her up a small path that lead to the top of the hill. When they reached the top, he heard Milly let out a low whistle.

"Wow." Milly was breathless. The hill they were standing on overlooked the whole ranch. The two story farmhouse looked so tiny from here. The sun was just starting to set so the sky was cast in colors of red, pinks, purples, and oranges.

"Beautiful isn't it?"

Milly nodded. "How did you know about this place?"

Jake winked at Milly. "It's a secret." Milly scrunched her nose, sending Jake into a fit of laughter. "Kidding. I've known Alice for years. We went to college together. We even dated for awhile.. and after the death of her parents... Well she needed someone to talk to and so I would come out here with her during the summer. She wasn't on the best terms with either of her brothers at the time. She showed this place to me a couple years back.. before we started using this place as a safe house." Jake smiled at Milly. "We don't just bring anyone to this safe house. Only those who are close to us..."

Jake trailed off leaving Milly to her thoughts. "Milly. I am sorry for dragging you into this. If I would have known those men would have been there, I wouldn't have attended. Yes it would have broken my sisters heart but at least they would all be safe."

Milly didn't respond. She honestly didn't know what to say to him. She wanted to tell him it was okay but she wasn't sure if it was. She was being stubborn and she knew it. She just needed a little while longer to accept what had happened before she could move on.

When they arrived back at the house, Milly excused herself. She took a shower before locking herself in her room.

________

Jake looked between Jason and Alice. "That girl upstairs is utterly impossible."

Jason and Alice both chuckled. Alice placed her hand over Jake's. "Give her time. She needs time to accept what has happened. It's a big event."

Jake sighed exasperated. "Give her time?! She's had two weeks to come to terms with what's going on? How can we help her if she doesn't want to be helped? She's looking for a way out but I can't give her one."

"She'll come around," Jason said hesitantly. Alice agreed.

"I hope you guys are right because if not, this will be a long summer."