Chapter Four

^^^^ what the backyard looks like. Imagine lanterns and stuff hanging from the trees and everything. Oh Ya, This chapter hasn't been edited. I suck at proofreading my stuff. So Ya, enjoy(;
•••••••••••••••••*•••••••••••••••••

Jake glanced at the clock. It was only 5:45. Fifteen minutes. Jake paced back and forth, trying not to fuse over the small details. He checked his appearance for the umpteenth time. He didn't want a hair out of place, a button to come undone, or to find a wrinkle in his outfit. Jake resumed pacing, a nervous habit he had always had. 

The two of them had been texting since they had gotten home. She was really nice and sweet. and if things were different, Milly would definitely be the kind of person he would date. But with his work, it would never work out.

Jake grabbed his keys and made his way to his car. He would be early, but that okay, it was better to arive early than late. His father always told him: arriving early is on time and arriving on time was late. As he was getting into his car, his phone rang. He glanced to see who was calling before answering it.

"Hey mom... Yes you are meeting her tonight... I'm actually about to head there now to pick her up... Okay. I will... Love you too." He hung up and prayed silently that everything would go according to plan.

Ten minutes later, he arrived at Milly's shop. He was told to walk around to the side of the building where a flight of stairs would lead him up to her apartment. As he climbed the creaky stairs, he noticed that most of the bricks were cracked and fading.

Milly heard the creaking of the stairs, alerting her to the presence of someone approaching her door. It was 5:55. "He's early," she mumbled to herself as she slipped on her black heels. Jake knocked on the door and she made him wait for a moment. "You're early," was all she said as she motioned for him to step inside.

She shut the door and gave him a once over. He looked nice. Actually, he looked kind of hot in his nice dark blue jeans, light blue long sleeve shirt with a pull over cream colored sweater. "Let me just grab a jacket and I'll be ready."

Jake's dark eyes tracked Milly's movement as she left the living room. She looked stunning in her short black dress. It covered everything but it hugged her body in all the right spots. While waiting for her, his phone started to ring again. He groaned. He was relieved when he saw that it wasn't his mother. Instead it was his boss. "Agent Spencer speaking... Yes sir. I will give you a full report Monday.... Yes sir. Tomorrow is her wedding... I will sir. You too." he hung up as Milly entered the living room. She raised her eyebrow but said nothing.

"Sorry about that. It was my boss. You look great by the way."

Milly smiled at Jake as she followed him out of her apartment. Silence enveloped the two as they walked to his truck. It wasn't an awkward silence but it wasn't exactly a comfortable silence either. Opening the door to his Toyota Tundra, Jake offered his hand to help Milly in. She took it and without thinking she pulled Jake towards her and crushed their lips together.

Jake was surprised by Milly's action. He hesitated for a split second before kissing her back. After a moment, they broke apart. She smiled at him and got into the truck.

Once they were speeding off towards the rehearsal dinner, she finally spoke. "Sorry. We had to kiss eventually. We are dating. People who date kiss." Milly fiddled with her hands in her lap. For some reason, Milly was nervous. Milly was never nervous.

Jake looked at Milly out of the corner of his eyes and smirked. "It's okay. You just caught me by surprise... You look lovely by the way, babe." He paused for a minute. "And I can't wait to take it off of you later."