Chapter Eleven

The alley was dark when Becca, whose stage name was Sugar, opened the back door to the club. Her mind was filled with words that the man whispered to her. 'I'll save you from here.' Becca couldn't help but to wonder where this man was. She hasn't seen him in over a week.

Her heart was breaking. How can someone promise her something so big and then disappear without saying goodbye. She knew better to get her hopes up and she knew better than to fall in love with a customer. He seemed like so much more than a customer.

Becca let out a scream as one hand grabbed her and the other hand brought a rag up to her nose. It burned for a minute as she struggled but then everything went black.

Becca awoke sometime later, in a dark rat infested room. She called out but there was no answer. She kept calling out until her voice was nearly gone. She slumped against the cracked wall. The door swung open and an infamous man walked in. Antonio.

"Hello there, beautiful."

A chill shot down her spine. If she was here and if he was here, she knew what was going to happen. She was going to die. "Go to hell," she spat at him. He raised his hand, swinging it so it met her cheek. Tears stung her eyes.

"How dare you talk to me like that. I gave you a job at my bar." He muttered a few things in Spanish that she didn't quite catch. "Where is your boyfriend?"

She shook her head. "I don't know what you are talking about. I don't have a boyfriend."

He slapped her again. She felt something wet fall down her cheek. She brought her hand up and touched it. Blood. She shrunk into the corner. "Lies. The brown haired man that came to visit you every night. What is his name?"

"Why should I tell you? You are just going to kill me!" Tears were building up, threatening to spill over.

"If you cooperate, I won't kill you. I'll make you my whore."

Becca would rather be dead than to be his whore. She knew he was going to kill her anyways. Not many people saw him and lived to speak about it.

Antonio was determined to get everything she knew out of her. He wanted to find out who that undercover man was. He wouldn't have even known that man was undercover if a few of his men didn't attend that wedding. Antonio brought his polished hands to her neck and started chocking her until she was about to take her last breath. The stripper fell to the mattress, gasping for breath when he released her.

"I'll ask one more time. What is his name?"

She whimpered before finally speaking. "I don't know. He told me his name was Jeremy Thorton."

Antonia grinned. That was a start. He drew his gun from his waistband and pointed the barrel towards her forehead. "He lied. He isn't going to save you." Antonio pulled the trigger.

________

Jake stared at the menu, he had no idea what he wanted. Truthfully, he wasn't even hungry but Milly was forcing him to eat. He brushed his hair out of his eyes. It was almost time for a haircut but that was the last thing on his mind.

Milly observed him carefully. She just wanted to go home but in the state Jake was in, she couldn't leave him by himself. He would only go and do something stupid. Why did she care if he did something stupid? This was way more than she bargained for.

He closed his menu and stared out the window. They were sitting in a little hole in the wall dinner somewhere in the middle of New Mexico. In a days time, they would be in that small hell hole town near the border that he was undercover in. His cell phone rang and he answered. Milly was curious so she sat there silently.

"Hello? We are in New Mexico. About twelve hours from Athens, Arizona.... Ya, I remember her... do what!" Milly saw every muscle in Jake's body tense. "She was an innocent person wanting to go to college... I promised I would save her... she had a one year old son and she was three months pregnant... okay... keep me posted."

Jake dropped his phone. Becca was dead. His promise to her was dead. He failed her. That was just another notch on his belt of people who he has failed. He didn't know what she had to do with anything unless Antonio saw her with him. Jake clenched and unclenched his fists several times before punching the table. Everyone in the dinner turned and stared.

Milly placed her hand over his. "Jake, it wasn't your fault. You couldn't have known."

"I could have brought her with me when I left! She would have been okay! Now her son is going to be homeless. He has nobody." Jake was pissed and Milly didn't know what to do.

"Jake, lets just eat something and get back on the road." Milly didn't know what else to say. She ordered their food and sat back in the booth and remained silent for the rest of the night.

•••••*•••••*•••••*•••••*•••••*•••••

(Sorry it's short. I needed to tie this in with the prologue. Yes Becca is the girl who was in the prologue. I wonder what will happen to her son:( that poor boy. And her poor unborn baby:( wah! Lol. Anyways. Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Ten votes and I'll update again!)