Chapter Twelve

This dedications goes to her because she is really nice and she has commented and voted on every chapter! She leaves really good comments! Anyways, enjoy!

Athens, Arizona. Jake and Milly were sitting in the car staring at the sign. He was trying to make up his mind what he wanted to do. Frustrated, he ran his hand through his hair before backing up and getting back onto the highway. However, he was going in the opposite direction. He couldn't just bring Milly into this mission guns a blazing when she didn't even know how to shoot. About ten miles up the road, he turned down a dusty back road, leading out into the middle of nowhere. 

Milly remained silent. Ever since that call that came in yesterday, Jack had been in a mood. She didn't blame him, she even slightly pitied him. She stared out the window, watching the dust being kicked up by the car. There was nothing in sight but dirt and dust. Milly had been to Phoenix one time but it was briefly to see one of the fashion shows her mother had put on. Milly glanced over at Jake. "Jake," she began. "Where are we going?" She was honestly curious. They had been staring at the sign to their destination when he decided to turn around. He wasn't chickening out, was he? She hoped not. They had came all this way and it better be for something.

"You wanted to learn how to protect yourself and that is what you are about to do." Another mile up the road, he brought the car to a stop. Jake let the dust settle before popping the trunk and climbing out. He dug through the duffel bag in the trunk before pulling out two Beretta M9 9mm pistols. He tucked them both into the holsters before grabbing several targets and closing the trunk. He motioned for her to follow him and the walked even farther into the middle of nowhere. Jake found a fence post and attached the targets to three different posts. 

Jake pulled one pistol out, made sure it was on safety, unloaded it, and took the clip out before handing it to Milly. "Milly, first rule of gun safety is to know that this piece of metal is not a toy. It's very dangerous and could hurt someone."

"I know, Jake."

"I'm not belittling you, Milly. I just need to say that. I've trained many men - and women - in gun safety. This is how I always start off. So, if you want to learn than just listen." Jake waited until Milly nodded before he continued. "Okay. now, there are several parts to a gun. The slide, the trigger, and the grip. You know what the trigger and grip is, right? Okay, well the slide is this top part of here. When you put a clip in," he motioned to the clip. "you need to pull the slide back. It's called cocking the gun. This is how you hold a pistol." He passed the unloaded pistol to Milly before he grabbed the grip with his right hand and extended his arm. "Don't fully extend your arm, keep a slight bend in the elbow. Now place your left hand on the bottom of the grip." He slid his gun into the holster before standing behind her and fixing her posture. "Now, to aim, you look down the barrel through the sites. The sites are the little things at the end of the barrel."

Milly gulped, this was more intimate than they have been since the wedding. She noticed her body fit perfectly against Jake. She could feel the heat radiating from him. Being in his arms was relatively calming.

"Now, whenever you are ready pull the trigger."Jake whispered in her ear. He felt her shiver as his warm breath danced across Milly's skin. Milly waited a minute before pulling the trigger. Click. "Good. Do you have any questions before I show you how to load the clip and shoot?"

"No sir." Milly turned her head to look at Jake and gave him a small smile. She was excited. She had never fired a gun before and now here she was about to shoot one for the first time. She knew she shouldn't be excited but she couldn't help it. 

Jake pulled away so she could see him again. 

"Okay, this is how you load the clip and put it into the grip." He took it slow so she could watch. "Now, it is your turn." He watched as she slowly did it. "Turn it around.. yes like that... now, once you have the clip in the gun you pull the slide back. You will know when your clip is empty because the slide will kick back and stay open. Okay, now that you have the clip in and the gun loaded, you are ready to shoot. However, before you can shoot, you have to make sure the safety is turned off. Whenever you are not about to shoot make sure the safety is always on." Jake showed her where the safety was. "Now, watch me shoot."