Chapter 45- we will think about the guy who opened the door for us for months

I have been here for almost a year now and I never knew he had a brother. What the fuck?

I want to pull my hand away from under his, but I leave it there, not wanting to make a scene. Emily's brother goes back upstairs to his room. I also feel kind of hurt because I have told him everything about me and I too expect him to share with me. My thoughts are clouded with a lot of thoughts because I cannot imagine what happened to his brother because Emily's brother said he was sorry,  I cannot pay attention to what is going around me. 

"You fine?", Emily whispers to me as we are going to her kitchen to bring snacks. 

"Nope"

"You didn't know about his brother? I figured you did"

"Nope. Interested in telling me why your brother knows his brother and what happened?"

"I honestly don't think its my place to tell you, even as a best friend. You should ask Liam only, but after Alina leaves", I continue acting as its not bothering me. But I also want someone to realise that I am not okay and for someone to tell me what the fuck happened to his brother. My mind is in a conflict whether I should ask Liam right now or wait for us to leave. After minutes of contemplating I walk up to Liam and tug at his t-shirt pulling him to the corner with me.

"I know you must be confused right now and I know you are not fine, I can see it but I don't want to make a scene. I'll tell you everything. Let's leave.", we walk to Alina to wish her a safe flight and we leave. He drives us to a small park nearby where there are not many people at this time.

We find a small bench in the park and go and sit on it. He just looks straight ahead, I can practically feel his internal conflict.

"So my brother and Dan, Em's brother were the best of friends. They did everything together. When I was a freshman, Shane, my brother was in his first year of college. He and Dan were in the same college, both on the soccer team. But....", he clears his throat and I move closer to him, rubbing my hand over his thigh to assure him I am there.

"Apparently the friends they made there were not were good. They got into a group of friends who went to rad parties, took drugs. My brother didn't initially take drugs but since he saw Dan get influenced he did too. A few months later, his coach found out about his drug problems and he got kicked out of the team. Shane was so hurt, he.......he got more indulged into drugs, more than his other friends and one day we got the new that he was dead. Drug overdose.", a tear falls down from his eyes and tries to hold himself together. 

"Oh my god, I am sorry. I shouldn't have made you repeat this all over again. Are you okay?"

"I will be", we sit there in silence looking at 2 kids play in front of us on the slides.

"So Dan?", I finally ask.

"I wasn't very open then. I saw him today after my brother's funeral. He gave up on drugs and now is living a perfect life while my brother.....", I honestly don't know what to do or say.

"I am sorry. I don't know what to say to you. But you should be glad that Em's brother is here"

"You don't have to say anything. That is one of the biggest reasons my dad doesn't want me to be a soccer player. He thinks sports persons are more prone to getting into drugs", noooowww I get it.

"Well it kinda does make sense now"

"I know it does but I don't want it to stop me from pursuing my passion. Also I want to prove them that not everyone gets influenced. This baby means a lot to my family after Shane", I put my head on his shoulder and we just sit there, not talking and it is not awkward at all. We get up just as the park starts getting crowded. We get in his to go home, there is just a very comfortable silence in the car as we drive home. I don't know how he is feeling right now.

"Stop staring at me", he says with a smile on his face.

"I am not!"

"Oh come on, you can agree I am hot and that you were staring, now that we are dating"

"Oh I've never denied that you are hot. I was just trying to figure out what you are thinking", we come to a halt in front of my house.

"I was thinking how it feels good to tell you that I hate Emily's brother. I am never going back to her house till he is over or whenever he is over"

"I'll make sure she knows that. Thank you for letting me know"

"Thank you for being there", he kisses  me before I get to get out of the car. I go to my room and lie down, in no mood to study. My SATs are close and I need to study harder but I am just tired today so I decide to go to lie but my mom immediately walks in and tells me I shouldn't sleep when day and night meet, some superstition. But she makes me stay up and I have to help her cook and she gives me the permission to skip studying today. I just talk to Sarah for sometime telling her about Shane and Liam, obviously. We don't talk often but I fill her in on all the gossip and she fills in on hers, like how she has developed a new crush on this guy she met in her classes because he held the door open for her, thrice.

That's our problem, we will think about the guy who opened the door for us for months and yet these actors kiss their co-stars without developing any kind of feelings. How???

                                                                   ******************

Wassup guys! I know its been long and this chapter was short but hope you liked it.

Happy Ganesh Chaturthi( ik it was 2 days back but still)

Keep reading and sending love and be safe.

XOXO