Chapter 18- I am not a bad person, this is what pain does.

It is 3:30am in the morning, when we pull up at the airport. I didn't get any sleep last night as I anyways had to wake up at 2. I start dragging the suitcase towards the entry gate when my mom stops me.

"What?", I ask.

"Someone else is also coming with us. He is almost here."

I am very confused. Who else would be coming with us? My question is answered when a white Audi pulls up as well. I am very familiar with that Audi by now, but I can't believe this is actually happening. I see Liam's mom in the driver's seat smiling at me. I return her smile and Liam get his small suitcase out of the car. 

When his mom drives out of the airport, I say "You didn't have to this Liam."

"I didn't have to but I want to."

I hug him tightly. He really didn't have to do this but I am very glad he decided to come. I know I am going to need him. I love how we have become so close in the past six and a half months. 

"Your parents didn't mind that you travel literally across the world with me?", I ask because I don't think my mom would have allowed me to travel across the globe alone with a friend.

"Yea..... I  mean no they didn't mind because they know that you need me too. Also my mom saw that you came to my house and I  haven't smoked since then, so she likes you.", I smile at that. For some reason the thought that Liam's mom likes me makes me happy. 

After almost 20 hours we reach Mumbai. We had to halt in Delhi which was exhausting. My mom also seems to like Liam very much. They were talking almost the entire way here, obviously ignoring me and leaving me to my own thoughts.

We book the cab to take us to our hotel. It seems that my mom and Liam had it all planned since he already knows our entire plan. I take my own time letting the hot water relax my body. I prepare myself during the entire can ride to Maya's house. Sarah texted me that she and Jash are already there. Liams rubs my hand the entire ride to calm me down. The classic Mumbai traffic irritates the fuck out of me and it is not helping my nerves.

After hours of sitting in the traffic, the cab finally halts in front of the very familiar building. We take the lift to Maya's flat. The house that had been my solace on the worst night of my life, the house where I had spent so many of my days had lost all its life. Mom rings the doorbell and Maya's mom opens the door. Her eyes do not hold the light they usually have when she sees me, the dark circles under her eyes clearly visible.  My mom hugs her tightly. I don't know what would happen to my mom if something ever happened to me.

When aunty turns to me she breaks into tears and hugs me tightly. I don't even know what she might be going through. 

"I am sorry", I mutter while hugging her. She welcomes all of us in.

A frame of Maya's photo with a garland around it sits on the granite which served as a playing balcony to us. People sit on the floor mourning my best friend's death. I scan the room and look for Sarah and Jash. I spot them in one corner, whispering to each other. I pull Liam with me and go towards where they are seated. 

I can see the shocked look on their faces when they Liam. I hug both of them tightly. I wanted to see them again, but not under these circumstances.  They hug Liam as well.

"Please, now I deserve to know how she did it.", I say looking at both of them.

"Let's go to her room and talk", Jash says and all 4 of us walk to her room.

When we walk into the room, Sarah simply points at the fan hanging. She doesn't have to say anything else. I can already feel my throat choking up but I try to hold myself. Liam wraps his hands around my shoulders and pulls me to him. The guilt seeps into me again, thinking how I could prevent all of this. I can't push the thought aside, especially after seeing aunty and uncle.