9 ; Crush

Happy Reading!

"Yes, sir?" I answer, putting the phone on my ear.

"Enough with the formalities when not at work, please." He says, making me shrug.

"Okay, okay. What is it?"

"Did you enjoy the little gift?" He asked under the line.

"What gift? The cake?" I ask, then looking at the key. I glanced at it for a moment.

Who would be that special person who would wear this matching necklace with me? Not that I'm rushing anything, but I'm genuinely curious on who's going to wear this necklace alongside me. Is he a million kilometers away? One call away? Then my mind suddenly lingers to Chan. I suddenly imagine Chan wearing the silver necklace instead of his chain.

Wait. No.

I scoffed and shoved the necklace in the drawer.

"Yes. Did you like it? Or do you want more?" He asked, making my heart shake.

Why is he being so kind? Does he treat all his newly hired workers like this? I hope so. I don't like getting special treatment. It seems unfair.

"Oh, no! It was great! Besides, strawberry shortcake's my favourite cake." I say, making him hum under the line.

There was an awkward silence that I couldn't bare. He simply went dead silent under the line, and so did I. Quick, think of something, Dae Young!

"So..." We both spoke at the same time.

"No, you go first." Spoke again at the same time.

"Okay." He says, then clears up his throat.

"I honestly didn't plan the conversation to last this long." He said breathily, making me chuckle. His usual serious voice suddenly was gone.

"What? You actually plan conversations?" I ask.

"Yes, when I feel nervous, that is..." His voice slowly lost volume, making me raise an eyebrow.

"Nervous? Why would you feel nervous?" I ask him.

"I don't know the answer to that as well." He simply says, leaving us in another long silence. I decide to put an end to the conversation.

"Well it was great talking--"

"Who gave you that necklace?" He asked, his tone serious and curt. It felt as if he was dying to ask this question to me.

"Wait. Why would you ask me this?" I ask with sass.

"It's because I stumbled on it overseas before and it's a couple necklace. I'm assuming you're taken." He says in a dark, bitter and disappointed tone.

"Actually...No I'm...single. Why do you ask?" I say, crossing my legs. There was a moment of silence before he asked again ; "What?"

"Mhm. I'm single." I say, before I hear him mutter something incoherent.

"Okay then. I'll see you tomorrow at work. Good Night." He says, then ending the call, not giving me the chance to reply to him and bid him goodnight.

He can be a whole blunt guy, sometimes.

_

This was the first day of work, and no doubt, I'm excited and nervous about it. I had everything I needed. A small little backpack, a few folders and everything else needed.

I walk to the building. Entering the lobby, I stumble to see the workers already having their lingering eyes on Chan, who went to another part of the building. It feels weird, since outside the building, he's so loose and chill. But when he steps inside the building, it's as if he's not the same stubborn person I met in the party.