28 ; Avoid

Crap.

I ran across the slippery sidewalks, feeling every inch of my body rushing with adrenaline, the thick, cold air hitting my face. I was running late because of overthinking last night, and finally, I came to the final decision.

It took every cell in my brain to come up with this, and finally, my heart, my soul and my mind agreed in unison.

I finally reach the building and glance at my wrist watch. I exhale in relief. I wasn't late.

I entered the building, holding onto my coat. Winter was already here, and I didn't realize that it was already November. Next month would be Christmas, the death anniversary of the person that cracked open my shell and first saw my vulnerable side. And hopefully, Mark, I hope you're okay with this.

With me having to show my vulnerable side to someone else. With me falling in love with someone else. With me having to commit to someone else. I'm sorry for falling, Mark. I can't stop these emotions crawling inside me.

As I entered the department, I saw Jisoo holding a box and as she laid her eyes on mine,then ran to me and gave the tightest squeeze she could ever muster. She had a big fat grin plastered onto her pearly whites.

"You amazing genius! You got the promotion!" She smiled and ruffled my hair.

What?

"What?" I ask, trying to get out of her gorilla grip. God, is this woman's arm made out of iron? I swore I almost felt my soul fly away from my body. "Thank you, Miss Kim for ruining the surprise, but yes, Miss Lee. You have the job. The higher-ups and I have spoken about this, and well done. You got it." She smiled warmly.

"Thank you..." I bowed, as she led me to her office. I opened the door to find the room almost empty, with a few couches and the bookshelves empty. This room used to have her books almost everywhere, and the furniture to have a sleek and minimal accent. But now, iit almost has nothing.

"Well, the moving out process in this office would only take a day, and the transition period would roughly only last for about two weeks. The whole department has been notified of this announcement, and I guess they're happy about the news. So, nothing's a deep problem to that. Just listen to what you have to do and what you need to do as the head and you'll be good." She says, and pats my shoulder.

She helped me set up the large computer and helped me with all the basics.

I was inwardly smiling. I smiled, feeling the pride swell inside my chest. Head Nam leaves me at it, saying that she has to go do something and sign some papers for the moving out process and leaves me alone in this office. While waiting, I explored the spreadsheets and all the boring stuff needed to do.

Being honest, I get bored when I do these things. If things would get difficult, I'd have to be serious, but I don't enjoy this analyzing and constant adding up of work. Sometimes, it gets tiring. Scanning numbers all day, coming up with presentations and constant shredding on numbers in a cubicle--it started to get tiring bit by bit.

"I have your stuff!" Jisoo breaks me off from my thoughts, holding a box.

"You can...Place your stuff wherever. Hoo!" She huffed, placing the box on the couch. "I put your ballpens, photos and other stuff you have in there. Oh, and I placed a gift inside." She smiled at the latter part of her words.

"You don't have to give me these gifts, Jisoo..." My heart melted. She's too kind.

"I know, but Lisa and I insist! We just...Feel like you're...I don't know...So hardworking. And we know that this is a new flag in your journey here, so we bought something. It's not expensive, don't worry. It was...Um...Handmade."