05| Flood Warning

Start from the beginning

"My friend Daiki says that a lot too. He usually ends up dragging me places against my will because it's good for me." the male answered. Not too long after did victorious music come out of the speaker.

"Well, maybe he's right. You look like you need a lot more work on your social skills."

"And you're an expert on the matter?"

"Well- I... no." Tanami stammered out pitifully. Because it took so long for Akihiko and herself to overcome their trust issues, Kagemi was really the only friend they made. Even if he was a petty brat. Since they attended a private school reserved for those in high positions, many only found the twins interesting due to their Quirk. Who would not want to be 'friends' with two people whose Quirks created real life gemstones.

Kids were enamored with the shiny objects. The thought of snatching one out of their hands and selling it overcoming common sense. Especially if someone managed to trick the twins into creating colored diamonds. Red, yellow, pink, and other colored diamonds seemed to hold the highest price. No one ever succeeded in fooling them. But because of this, Tanami and Akihiko would keep their mouths clamped, only talking when needed. But it did not always work. Someone always needs to push over the breaking point.

The day had presented itself as a fairly normal one. Light filtered through the windows of the hallway, giving a tinge of yellow to whoever and whatever stepped into its illuminance. Cold air pushed itself out of the vents, dropping the degrees of the corridor and giving a brisk touch to soothe the students' skin. Mismatched voices contorted into mindless chatter as students began to file out of the classrooms. Exhaustion clung heavily to their features, a slight delay of motion in their movements as their hands tightened around the straps of their bags.

Twelve-year-old Tanami shifted out of her seat to stand and brush the nonexistent dust from her plaid skirt. The classroom was vacant of anyone. Every other student had rushed out once the bell rang and the teacher left for a meeting. Her lips were pursed together, sealed to not even utter a sound. Her fingers curled around a crimson book and stuffed it in her bag before closing the flap and zipping it. Throwing the strap over her body, she quickly adjusted it with care. A feeling of unease suddenly curled around her ankles like vines.

Nimble fingers slid down the base of one of purple crystals that acted as her hair. With a jolt, Tanami pulled away by sidestepping. Periwinkle eyes narrowed slightly, just enough to formulate a small glare. In front of her stood Yuna Okamoto, a girl who belonged to a high ranking Hero family. Since the media had no clue that Tanami and Akihiko were adopted by the Illustration Hero, Inscribe, no one in the school knew. Not even the teachers or the principal. Meaning Tanami could not play 'my guardian is higher ranked than yours so leave me alone' card.

Instead, she kept her hands at her sides and focused her attention on the olive-haired twelve-year-old. Okamoto's lips tilted upward in a bittersweet smile. Feigning a cheerful expression, her lips parted in order to speak. "Tanami-chan! Let me walk you home. I'm sure Akihiko and Onishi won't mind, right?"

Tanami felt her hand tighten around the fabric of her skirt. Her vocal cords stayed stilled. She had no use speaking to someone who was acting sickeningly sweet to her just because of her Quirk. Her parents were greedy, forgetting Akihiko and herself were even human beings because of the luminance coming off their hair. Children were greedy too. They expressed the same dangerous glint in their eyes. Especially spoiled ones. They got whatever they wanted at the snap of their fingers.

The crystal brushed past the chocolate-eyed girl without a word. Her teeth stayed clamped as they should be. She should not be wasting her time with a girl playing nice.