37| Mirror Image

『ARC THREE: AGENCIES AND CRYSTALS』

✧ ▬▭▬ ▬▭▬ ✦✧✦ ▬▭▬ ▬▭▬ ✧

Wringing his fingers to and fro, Akihiko applied all of his attention on the scratches and chips that coated the edges of his fingernails. His joints cracked, the air pockets in between his bones popping with the contraction of his fingers. Miniature cuts littered his cuticles which were evidence from what had occurred on Saturday night. Seemed like so long ago but that was not right. It happened merely a day ago.

Like before, dull pangs rattled against his skull but at this point, they were to be expected. But this time, they were light and delicate as if a feather was brushing against his head rather than something hard and stiff. With one hand, he pulled his legs closer to his chest. The dark blue blazer he wore wrinkled from the movement but he did not really care.

Exhaustion had seeped into his muscles and engraved itself into his bones. Even the small movement of his fingers caused pain to run up his nerves but that was bearable. At times, his eyelids would flutter shut as the sweet song of sleep began to lull him away. His head would begin to droop but he managed to snap himself awake just before he fell unconscious. Raising his gaze, he figured placing his attention on something else would help him stay awake.

A breath of air slipped past his lips as he focused his gaze on the screen lying before him. The images moving across the screen were current shots of the game of tag. It still resumed despite him being stuck in one of the extra waiting rooms, unsure of what to make of this situation. The fabric of his socks slipped across the grey sofa he sat upon as he tried to adjust his positioning to get more comfortable. His shoes laid forgotten on the ground.

For a moment, his eyesight grew blurry and he squinted. Akihiko tilted his head, trying to shake the blurriness. In the process, a strip of amethyst fell onto his face and covered his right eye and vision. A huff left him as he raised a hand and used a finger to push it away and back into place. Unbeknownst to him, his right eye was glossed over with the shine of purple gemstone. The other stayed the same shade of periwinkle.

It took him a minute to realize something was amiss. Gazing through his crystallized eye, a light lavender coated whatever he stared at whereas his normal eye witnessed everything as it should be. Blinking once, he raised his hand upward and momentarily looked at his palm. Wrinkles decorated his forehead. He lifted his head when the sound of something breaking entered his eardrums.

His fingers curled tightly around the fabric of the blazer as he expected something to go wrong. His breath escaped him. On his right side, hairline fractures threaded through reality. They were thin and white, the lines running across the space with intricate details that matched the weaving of a spider's web. The slow noise of glass breaking trickled by with no evidence of going any faster. Akihiko's lips parted as he mouthed a soundless word of confusion.