Prologue

PROLOGUE

"Help!"

My vision is blurry and I am doing my best to walk. Earlier, I am in my grandparents' house to celebrate my grandpa's 65th birthday. Grandma cooked my favorite food and they even rented a karaoke machine so that we can sing all throughout the day.

I did not expect that this day will end this way. It was supposed to be a celebration but instead, I am right now running for my life, asking for help. I can smell the gasoline and I'm afraid something will probably explode in any moment.

There is no visibility on this dark road. I felt a liquid running in my forehead. Blood starts to flow and I just wiped it with my t-shirt.

I don't wanna die. I still want to fulfil my dreams.

Shouting for help is useless. No one can hear my weak voice. I decided to go back to our car and check for my grandpa.

"Help!" 

I opened the door and placed my ear on my grandpa's chest. He is still breathing but it is weak. I then felt something is caressing my head. He is trying to open his eyes. "Hang on there, grandpa. I already called for help. They are already on their way." I lied to him.

"N-New," he said weakly. "Please take care of your grandma for me okay?"

"No, just wait a little more grandpa. They are already on their way," I plead. I can see it in his face that he is in deep pain. I then unbuckled his seatbelt and unbuttoned his polo in hope that it will help him breath. I was already on the third button when I saw something on his left chest.

00:00:00:00: 01:06

I am stunned. I already saw these numbers before and every second, the last number is changing. It's like a countdown or something.

00:00:00:00: 00:45

I can feel my tears piling up because I think I already know what is going to happen. My grandpa then opened his arms like he wants to hug me for the last time.

00:00:00:00: 00:20

He pats my head and felt a kiss on my cheeks. It was supposed to be for my grandma. She should be the one receiving his final kiss not me. Then tears start to run down my face.

"Don't forget to take care of yourself, New."

"GRANDPA!" I opened my eyes and saw Mild looking at me worriedly.

"Are you okay?" she asked. I got up and felt my face is dripping in sweat. "I will get you a towel and water. I heard you mumbling something and I'm trying to wake you up." She handed me a white face towel and poured water in a glass.

"I'm good. Thank you," I replied.

"You dreamed about your grandfather again?" she sat in front of me while holding the glass I just emptied right now. I needed that drink.

"Today's his birthday and death anniversary. I've been dreaming of that day for the past fifteen years." I took a deep breath and tried to smile. By the way I am at Mild's house right now. She's my best friend for seven years and we met because my classmate who happens to be her ex boyfriend.