Chapter 31

"There can be no deep disappointment where there is not deep love."

-        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Candice POV

I heard Eric's deep voice telling me to come in, so I opened the door slowly and once I was inside, I closed the door again and locked it as I didn't want us to be interrupted. I turned around only to see Eric clearly focused on work, I didn't even know if he'd seen me yet.

"Hi."

"Hey."

"Are you busy?"

"A little." I started to get a little frustrated when he didn't even look up from the desk, but I slowly started to walk over towards his desk anyway.

"Okay, because I was thinking..."

"You know this thing with Jeanine and Erudite is making me crazy. All this paperwork." He made hand gestures and shook his head, but he still didn't look up.

"You know we haven't spent much time together lately and frankly, it feels like we don't even see each other anymore." It felt like I was talking to a wall, because when I was trying to communicate with him and trying to get his attention, all he was doing was talking about work. I even opened my jacket, about to undress myself but I got no reaction at all from him. I finally had enough.

"Am I invisible here? You know I came here because like I said, we barely see each other anymore and I miss the man I love. I've been busting my ass all day to look pretty because underneath all of this, I'm bruised to the bone from all the training I've done lately and I'm tired. We both are, but at least I'm making an effort. I came here to spice things up a little, to be adventurous and all you can do is talk about Jeanine. You haven't even had the decency to look up from that desk properly, to look me in the eyes when I'm trying to talk to you." For the first time since I stepped into his office, Eric looked up from his desk. His expression turned to shock when he saw my angry yet wounded expression.

"Candice, I...."

"Don't bother. You know what? Why don't you go screw Jeanine instead. We both know she needs it." I didn't care to hear his reply and just walked back to the door, unlocked it and slammed the door behind me when I left.

I was extremely angry with Eric and even though people were leaving the dining hall, I didn't care if they saw me. I muttered angry words to myself as I walked down the corridors on my way to the only place I knew I could go when I had boyfriend problems. When I reached the apartmen,t I didn't even bother to knock. I just walked in.

"Okay. Please make yourself at home." Levina said, looking oddly at Meg.

"Jerk." I said loudly while I sat down on their couch.

"I think you better grab some glasses, Meg. I'll get the wine. This sounds serious." They both hurried to grab a bottle of wine and three glasses before they rushed over and sat down next to me.

"Okay, spill. What happened?" Levina said while she poured the wine into our glasses.

"It was like he didn't even notice my presence. All caught up in work."

"That bastard! And after everything you did to look hot for him" Meg gaped, shook her head and took a big sip from her glass.

"I went in there, locked the door behind me and whenever I tried to get his attention, he just mumbled or complained about work. Only time he looked up was after I snapped at him. He looked so shocked and I guess he was about to apologize, but it was too late. I didn't care for his excuses. Just walked out of there as fast I could and came straight here."