Chapter 34

This chapter will contain a discussion about miscarriage on page 12 for those who want to skip that part.

"One cannot plan for the unexpected."

-        Aaron Klug

Candice POV

The words that came out of Theresa's mouth echoed inside my head. "You're pregnant." I was pregnant, PREGNANT! A child was growing inside of me.

The room fell quiet the minute Theresa said those words, no one said a single word. I could feel Eric's grip on my hand loosening, before letting it go completely. We were both shocked to say the least. I kept staring at the wall in front of me, my brain trying to comprehend what was happening.

"I understand this might come as a shock to you both, so I'm going to leave you two for a bit to talk. But I'll be back soon to go through some things before you both can leave." Theresa said before she walked out of the room. We didn't speak for several minutes, we both needed to let the information sink in and grasp the idea that we were going to be parents. Were we ready for this? What about Jeanine's plan? What was going to happen now? So many questions.

"How are you feeling?" Eric whispered, his head tilted down as he looked at the floor

"I don't know. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel. How about you?"

"Mostly shocked. I wasn't expecting this."

"Me neither." For the first time since we got the news, Eric turned his head towards me, and I turned my head so that we were facing each other. With a worried look, he took my hand in his again and then leaned over to kiss my forehead.

"It's going to be okay." He whispered and just like that, I knew that as long as we were together, everything would be fine.

Theresa came back in with a chart in her hands and a serious face.

"I'm just going to go through a few things, then we can schedule you for another appointment. You are going to have to decide whether to keep the baby or..."

"We are keeping the baby. I refuse to give up another baby and endure that kind of pain again."

"It's not the same, sweetie."

"For me it is. It doesn't matter if the cause is me getting hit, kicked, and thrown around like a rag doll or just simply taking a small little pill to end this life inside of me. It's all the same for me and I won't do it. We are keeping the baby and that's my final answer.  If anyone has a problem with that, well too bad for you."

"I see. Eric?"

"Uhm, I guess we are keeping the baby."

"Alright then. First off, I'm going to give you some vitamins to help with the pregnancy. Second I want you to take it easier from now on, which means no more extreme workouts. Finally, I want you to come back in four weeks for a checkup, we'll talk some more then." Theresa explained before handing me a bottle of pills, which I understood was the vitamins she was talking about.