Chapter 30

"Some think love can be measured by the amount of butterflies in their tummy. Others think love can be measured in bunches of flowers, or by using the words 'for ever.' But love can only truly be measured by actions. It can be a small thing, such as peeling an orange for a person you love because you know they don't like doing it."

- Marian Keyes

Candice POV

The weeks that followed where quite hectic. I'd decided after a lot persuasion from the other leaders to take the leader job, even Jeanine helped to persuade me. Why she had a say in my decision, I didn't know. But then again she was Jeanine Matthews and what was she not involved in?

Eric had told me the night before, that choosing the leader position would grant me more access to the knowledge of Divergents, why people feared them and why they wanted them eliminated. I even talked to Four about it and at first he was reluctant with me being a leader, for my safety of course. But when I told him what Eric had told me, he thought it would be a good idea after all. That way, I could get more information on the matter and use it to our advantage. So, I chose to be a leader. But I had no idea how much work it would involve, both physical training and then I had to follow Lauren throughout the days and see what the job was all about. She would quiz me on different scenarios that might occur, It was hard but I managed.

The only downside with having such a hectic schedule, was that I didn't see Eric that often as he went back to work as well. He would spend most of his time in his office and didn't come home until late. Eric had asked me to move in with him officially, but since we were already living together it was more of an official statement.

As for our relationship, things had definitely changed since that night when we confessed our love for each other. He had been more loving when we were together, holding hands in public, more kissing and late night massages before bed. And those three words were the last thing we told each other before we went to work in the morning and the last thing we told each other before falling asleep. I never got tired of hearing him say that.

When my friends found out about me and Eric that night, let's just say their reaction wasn't at all of what I had expected.

Flashback

The morning after the party, me and Eric went down to have breakfast, he kissed me goodbye and then went off to his table while I went to mine. When I arrived, everyone was staring at me with wide eyes.

"Good morning, guys." I said with a smile and sat down next to Four and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"Good morning, indeed. Had fun last night?" Zeke asked and wiggled is eyebrows.

"Yeah, why?" I asked him.

"Oh, just wondering." He started drinking his coffee and smirked in his cup.

"Oh, for pete's sake! Stop fussing around, Zeke. Just spill it out. We saw you last night, Candice. With Eric." Levina spoke out while she looked at me with judging eyes.

"Look, guys. I know it may seem weird but..."

"You don't have to explain to us, Candice. We understand. We just don't understand why you didn't tell us about him." Meg said with a calmer and gentler tone.

"I don't know. I guess we didn't want people to know, because of what they would think, especially since I was still an initiative."