Chapter 21

"If you want to know what it's like to survive hell and still come out shining brighter than the sun, just look into the eyes of a woman who has survived intense damage and refused to allow it to destroy her softness."

- Nikita Gill

Candice POW

It had been a couple of days since I woke up, my friends had been visiting me every day after they had finished whatever stage two was. No one would tell me when I asked and when I asked Eric, he just smirked and told me it was a secret. It didn't go too well either when I asked Four. Eventually I just gave up on trying fishing it out of them.

I was lying in my hospital bed, bored out of my mind and I just wanted to get away from that room. I was contemplating whether I should stay or drag myself out of the bed and out of the room, but before I had the time to make my decision someone walked in.

"Well hello. champ!" Aaron said with a big smile on his face. He was adorable with his dimples.

"Thank goodness, company!" I said with a big sigh, and Aaron laughed.

"I guess that answers my question if you are ready to leave this place."

"Totally, if someone doesn't come to get me soon I will walk out of here on my own, no matter how much it will hurt."

"And that is why you are our champ." He said before sitting down at the end of my bed. We talked some more and I tried to make him spill about stage twi, but nothing, nada not even a sneak a peek. After a while, Max, Eric, Theresa and Four joined us and my mood instantly changed from grumpy to happy, Aaron was good company, but being stuck in a bed for a whole week and unable to walk was not jolly.

"Are you ready, Candice?" Max asked.

"I have been ready for days." I responded.

"That's good to hear. But before you are moving to Eric's, we have something to show you." Max said with a chuckle before Theresa walked over to my bed and removed all the tubes and to all the boy's horror, my catheter. When she was done, she ushered all of them out so I could change into more comfortable clothes. Theresa helped me undress and redress, and then she called them in again. I was back in bed but this time I was sitting by the edge of it with my legs dangling. Four came to my side, placed one of his arms gently around my back and then the other under my legs. I put my arms around his neck for support then he lifted me up and slowly walked out of the room.

Max and Aaron walked out after us, but before we exit the infirmary I heard Theresa calling for Eric.

"Eric, I want you to take these with you."

"What are these?"

"Dreamless sleeping pills."

"I don't know if she's been telling anyone, but she has been having nightmares for a couple of nights, and last night I gave her one of these and she didn't have any bad dreams. If she feel like she needs to take one, then it would be best if you have them at your place."

"What has she been dreaming about?"

"After the trauma she's been through, I would probably guess her father and what happened. She hasn't told me anything except that she's been having a hard time sleeping lately. It kind of shows, she looks exhausted with bags under her eyes along with blood shut eyes."

"I guess that's understandable, I'll make sure she takes them." After that, Eric came out and looked at us, or more like me. He nodded our way and then we left.

We walked for a long time before we came up to the entrance to the dining hall. I turned to look at Four and he smiled my way before Max opened the doors and what I saw made my eyes wide and one of my hands went up to my mouth in shock. Inside the dining hall, we were met with cheers and clapping from the entire Dauntless faction. Everyone was smiling and the applauding never stopped. Four walked with me to the table where my friends were and sat me down on the table, he was still holding me for support and my friends smiled and winked. The leaders walked up on stage, Max grabbed the microphone and the dining hall went quiet.