Chapter 18

"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away."

- Elvis Presley

Eric POV

Surgeons from Erudite had finally made it to the compound and were trying to save Candice's life. It had been two hours since Four and I found Candice in the hallway, and every minute we had been waiting for their arrival and even after was excruciating. I couldn't think straight, my head was spinning with questions and I just wanted to scream. I didn't know why I was feeling this way. She had stirred feelings in me that I didn't even knew I had and I was at the point of not caring, I just wanted her to live, to see those mesmerizing blue eyes and that infatuating smile again. She couldn't just be gone like that, I wouldn't allow it.

We were currently in the conference room. All Dauntless leaders and Four were there to discuss what had happened and we were waiting impatiently on Four to explain the matter, most of all me. Even though I was there, I didn't know the story but Four did and we all wanted to know why Candice's father would attack his daughter and nearly kill her. If we hadn't arrived when we did, I'm positive he would have succeeded. Something I didn't want to think about.

"Okay, we have an hour before Jeanine arrives, until then I like to know what actually happened back there. Visiting day is not over yet, the remaining people down there doesn't know what's going on, I like to keep it that way until we have cleared out what happened and what we are going to do. Eric and Four, would you please tell the rest of us what happened?" Max said and looked our way.

"Don't look at me, I don't know what happened. All I know is that the girl's father came to me while I was observing the pit and asked if I knew where his daughter was. I offered to take him to her but he refused, saying he wanted to go alone so I didn't bother. After some time Four came over and asked me where Candice were and when I told him she was with her father he panicked and asked me which way, then he just ran off. I thought it was strange so I followed, and after we heard a scream we found her on the ground unconscious with blood running down her head. Why her father would do something like that I don't know." I said and then we all looked at Four for more information.

"Four?" Max gestured to Four to continue.

"I don't know how much I can tell you, this is Candice's story to tell."

"Well, she is a bit occupied at the moment trying to stay alive." I snapped.

"Four, I know this is hard. I get that you have history together but this is extremely important. We need to know."

"Fine, but you have to prepare yourself, for what I'm about to tell you will not only shock you, it will also change your view of her forever."

"Just tell us." Max said with calmness.

"It all started when Candice's mother died, her father was devastated and turned to drinking. She was twelve years old. A year went by, and Candice had to basically take care of her father since he was a wreck, well inside the house that is. On the outside he was sober and friendly. On the day of the choosing ceremony, Michael had forbidden her to go, she had to stay home while he went. He told her it was for her own good, she would only get bored. So, she stayed home to clean the house, thinking her father might appreciate that, little did she know what Michael had in store for her when he got back.

After a couple of hours when the ceremony was over Michael came home to not just a clean house, but I good homemade meal but he didn't care for any of it. Candice greeted him in the kitchen thinking he would be happy to see what she had been doing, but he didn't give her any appreciation. He yelled at her instead, saying how disobedient she was for cleaning the house and cooking dinner without permission. He told her she was vermin and a scum to this earth. That was her thirteenth birthday. This went on for a year and on the next choosing ceremony Michael left the house while she had to stay home. When he came back he was in a foul mood and he took it out on Candice. That was the first time he laid a hand on her.