Chapter 46

"We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality."

- Iris Murdoch

Kevin POV

We left Candice room to give her some space and to go help prepare for the battle. We needed justice for what they had done to us. Matt, Noah, and I helped gather weapons while Levina helped Tori with the strategics, Meg was helping Raven and Theresa with the injured. As much as I was excited for Candice and hoped she would be alright, we had to focus on the task at hand. Jeanine and Max had to be stopped. Four had told us Eric, Lauren and Aaron were on our side, but we needed to pretend they were the enemy in order to throw Max off guard. They had planned this for quite some time, trying to come up with a bulletproof plan. I don't know what their plan was, but so far it sucked. A lot of people had either died or gotten killed, and I was afraid more would suffer the same fate.

We were right in the middle of preparation when we heard gunshots on the roof. We all stopped what we were doing, listening to the commotion that was unfolding above us. Then we sprang into action, and with guns in our hands we spread out to attack our attackers. No one really knew what we were walking ourselves into, but we didn't care. We needed to defend and win back what was taken from us.

We heard screams coming from the floor above us and I saw Levina, Noah and some Dauntless members reach for the stairwell to head upstairs. Matt and I decided to stay on the floor we were currently on, trying to find a spot to hide before we ambushed the intruders. I saw Meg and Raven help those who couldn't fight find a place to hide and for a moment our eyes met. She mouthed 'I love you', and I responded with the same words. Then she disappeared and I went back to join Matt. We heard the commotion upstairs, gunshots and screams coming from different ends of the floor. I was worried about Levina, If she was okay and where in the midst of the attack she was. Even though Noah was one of my best friends, Levina was my flesh and blood and if anything happened to her I wouldn't know what to do, probably have them shoot me too.

Matt nudged my side and motioned for me to follow him, he had spotted a hidden passage that he wanted to check out. If there was a chance that we could get to them without them knowing, we could ambush them and help our people. We were surprised but thankful that the passage lead us up a few stairs, the place was dark which made us blend in and helped us navigate without being discovered. We sticked to the dark parts of the area, and as soon as we saw soldiers from Erudite and Max's team we stayed quiet, watching them search the floor in hopes of catching anyone. When they left, we poked our heads out to see what we had to deal with. Bodies were lying motionless on the floor, they looked dead.

"One of us should go check on them." Matt whispered and I agreed.

"If you go check, I'll watch your back." I said and with that Matt slowly started to walk towards the nearest person. I walked closely behind him, gun secured in my hand ready to fire if necessary. Matt reached down to feel a pulse then he turned his head up and nodded, the person was still alive. However, there was strange looking bump on his body, and as we carefully moved to the next person we saw the same looking bump on her body. It was in that moment we realized they had all been tranquilized. We continued to sneak around the hallway but moments later we were ambushed ourselves, and before we could even react, we were shot.

When I woke up again, it was quiet at first. It took a few seconds for me to adjust to the light that was shining from above me. I heard Matt call for me, and I turned to look at him. He looked pretty out of it, and I assumed I looked the same.

"What happened?" I asked him groggily.

"They must have noticed us. Last thing I remember is hearing people running. Then it all turned black. I woke up a few minutes ago." Matt responded while looking around as people were moving right and left.