Sunday: Prince Ross

Começar do início

Still in tears, we let go of each other. Two lads stand in front of my chamber's door, each with a get-well-soon bouquet.

Me: "Ross?"

Uncle Isaac: "Brandon?"

Anne: "Um, who?"

Lastly, a girl comes in, closing the door behind her.

All three of us: "Paige!"

^^^

"So, let me get this straight. Brandon is King Isaac's long lost illegitimate child."

"Claims to be." I correct Ross, watching from my bed as he tries to cut an apple for me.

"Okay. All this time, he's been raised in Bobby's former orphanage, which he visited recently with his runaway bride, your best friend, Princess Paige of Orinh."

"Lover." I correct him again.

"Uh-huh. And now, he's trying to claim his birth right as the rightful heir apparent to King Isaac. The council and your uncle is holding a meeting regarding this issue as they wait for the DNA test result. Do you feel threatened by Brandon?"

"Not at all. Even better if the test result proves him Uncle Isaac's son. That's basically a dream come true to me!" And Raul wouldn't have to care at all about my huge responsibility. Joy!

"I don't understand. You will not be crowned."

"I don't care. Do you?"

"Not at all."

I smile. "Good. And I'm surprised you're here after our last conversation." I basically scared the crap out of him by being, uh, painfully aggressive. I mean, my mind might be preoccupied then, but even so it's still quite obvious that he has no interest to me, and only tries to match me in Heaven purposely to ruin his dad and my uncle's relationship. He's still in high school, for heaven's sake! No sane boys his age looking for marriage, with a twenty years old lady no less.

Prince Ross of Tomborne, ladies and gentlemen. Only child of Prince Gareth. No one announced him, my bad.

"I like you ... bold."

"Ha! And I like you naïve."

"On that note. All this life-and-death situation made me realize that I don't want to waste another second not being with you. Princess Jenny! Will you marry me?" He gets down on one knee and opens his ring box with the most amusing expression. Eyes closed, nose crunched, one could easily mistake him bracing for impact. It takes everything in me to not burst into laughter.

Lookit, Raul, some kid just went and stole your thunder while you're hanging on your shoulder splint.

"How is that relevant? You weren't even there!"

"But now I know how it feels to almost lose you!"

"You weren't even here last night! Just what kind of fairy tale world are you living in?"

He stands, face flushing. "It's called love!"

I laugh sourly. "What does a seventeen-years-old know about love? You've known me since, like, three days ago."

He looks down, taking his time before answering quietly. "Love is when you put someone else's happiness before yours."

"Well don't you love your dad, kid?"