𝟐 | Oh, Brother

Aly sighed, feeling slightly betrayed that the new AP History teacher still hasn't arrived at Mystic Falls

Aly sighed, feeling slightly betrayed that the new AP History teacher still hasn't arrived at Mystic Falls. She half-listened to Mr.Tanner ramble on before her thoughts quickly wandered to the dream she had the night before. She let out a low strangled groan, running her hands through her hair.

It was just a dream, just as Jeremy had said. Logically, she knew that she had nothing to worry about. But she couldn't ignore the likeness the dream invoked in her from the one she had when her parents died. She couldn't ignore the what-if. She shook her head, feeling surprised at herself for entertaining the thought.

Perhaps Aly was simply going crazy, and she needed someone to vent about her life.

"Ms. Gilbert?" came Mr.Tanner's voice. "Surely you can enlighten us about one of the town's most significant historical events?" Aly snapped out of her daze, cursing inwardly. She had no idea what he was talking about- let alone the question.

"Not as good as you can?"

Mr. Tanner tsked, shaking his head in disapproval. Obviously unimpressed with her comment. "I expect this kind of behavior from your sister, Alyssandra. Actually, I did get this earlier today." Aly almost scowled, sinking into her seat. She didn't like his patronizing tone. "You should pay more attention."

"I'm sorry, sir." she gave him a polite smile. "Can you please repeat the question?"

He let out an exaggerated sigh. "There aren't any real second chances in life." Aly controlled the urge to roll her eyes. "Anyone? No one?" his eyes roamed around the class, they all wore the same bored look she had. They also shared the same relieved look when the bell rang, signaling the end of class. "Quiz tomorrow!" he barked out, much to their dismay. "Mystic Falls: A Century in Making, no one be late."

Aly hurriedly went out of the classroom, heading straight to the lockers in the gym. She couldn't contain her grin upon getting ready for the first Volleyball meeting they had for the season. Aly had reluctantly skipped out on both cheer and volleyball training over the summer after some talking with Aunt Jenna. Although she wasn't as close to the girls in both teams as she was with her childhood friends, she was still glad to finally see them again.

"Maggie! Hey!"

Margaret Honkins, their new captain, and also their oldest member was the most supportive person Aly knew. She was also an inspiration, being that year's highest marking student. She was one of those people that simply had it all together and liked it when other people had it together too. The two hugged.

"Hey yourself, Aly." she grinned. "It's been so long! How are you doing now?"

"All good," she assured her. She didn't really want to go in the details. "You? How was summer training? Do we have anyone new? I'm sorry I haven't kept in touch."