𝟏 | The First Day of School

Start from the beginning

Jeremy steals the new mug in Elena's hands, much like she did, earning a glare from the oldest Gilbert sibling. It was half-hearted. Alyssandra handed her mug back to Elena, guilty for doing the same moments before. The younger twin felt a little concerned as Jeremy continued to harshly pushed things around as he walked. He had a complete personality change since their parents died, she wanted to reach out somehow- but nothing seemed to go through him.

Growing up, it was Elena that Jeremy had always gone to whenever something was wrong. By no means did Alyssandra believe that the two were closer to each other than Aly was to them, as she also believed that Elena was simply easier to talk to. Elena just always had something to say to the younger two, it was probably a side-effect to being the eldest amongst the three.

Jenna wore a pained smile. "Your first day of school and I'm completely unprepared." she sighed, "Lunch money?"

Aly gave her a smile. "I'm good."

"Same," Elena answered. "You coming with Bonnie and I to school, Aly?"

Aly shook her head no, "I'm heading to Caroline's." she explained. Caroline Forbes, Deputy Elizabeth 'Liz' Forbes' daughter, her best friend. "I kinda promised her we'll go together."

With literally no shame, Jeremy takes the money hanging from Jenna's hand. Aly decides to shoot her shot.

"Hey Jer," she called out. "Wanna hang at the Grill later?"

He doesn't even look back at her as he heads out, yelling out a 'no' as an answer.

Elena frowned, "You think he's gonna be okay?" she asked, looking as worried as Aly was. She placed her coffee mug back down to the sink.

"Honestly I have no idea." Aly had a sinking feeling in her stomach, remembering the early days of their parents' death. Aly personally blamed herself for Jeremy's new behavior, having introduced him to his new friends.

"Well- whatever." she forcibly took the thought out of her mind, beginning to feel uncomfortable. "I'm heading to Caroline's. See you later-" Aly idly presses a kiss on her twin in the cheek before heading out as well. She briefly hears Elena and Jenna talk some more before Jenna follows her out through the door.

"Hey Aly, do you wanna ride? Caroline's house is just on the way," she pointed to her car.

Aly shrugged. "Yeah, sure."

The ride to Caroline's wasn't exactly tense. But it was quiet. Aly follows the urge to trace her wrist. Finding comfort in the misshapen rough edges of her skin there. Jenna repeatedly taps the steering wheel.

"So-" Jenna starts, breaking the silence. "You ready for the first day of school?" she asked.

Alyssandra shrugged once more. "It'll be alright I guess." she takes a look at her aunt. "Thanks, by the way," she tells her, softly this time. "I have no idea what we'll do without you."

It was true.

Elena had refused to go out of her room for days at a time the week of their parent's death, Jeremy decided it was a good idea to meet up with her druggie friends, and at the day of their parent's funeral, Aly herself had almost ran away. It was Jenna that had somehow huddled them back together. It was nowhere near perfect, and Aly seriously doubted that things would go back to normal. But today was better, their lives were better, and it was all because of their aunt.