Surprise

Surprise

****

"Ahh! Oh my god!" A high pitched scream woke me up. I jumped out of bed, looking for some sort of bug.

"I came to wake you up and I find this!" My mother said pointing at my hairless head. I subconsciously touch it, and was startled at the feeling of the buzz cut. I hold my hand up stopping my mom from screaming again. My ears hurt.

"Mom, I can explain." I said slowly.

"Explain! You can explain? I-I don't believe this. You know how much-ugh. You are not even listening to me are you. What is this? First I get a call that you were not in school the whole day and now I find you sleeping bald with your beautiful hair gone. When did this happen?" Mom asked. I thought she was taking this better than I thought she would. There was no tear in sign. Anger I could live through, but her crying just makes me feel bad and angry at the same time somehow.

"Yesterday," I mumbled. She was making me doubt my decision.

"When you were skipping class?" She asked, her eyebrow raised impatiently. I shook my head. She waited for me to elaborate. I sat on my bed and told her how it happened. She argued that I was being paranoid, hair falls out when one doesn't take care of it. She said she would have taken me to hair salon and got my hair fixed. I rather not have people see my hair fall off I thought bitterly to myself.

At some point the argument turned out to be pointless. We began to debate quite loudly. My father came to see what was happening, and stopped where he was when he saw my hair. He just stared at me.

"Aren't you going to say something?" My mother asked waiting for my dad to tell me how this was unreasonable of me.

"I think you rather look like handsome lad, I never got." He smiled. My mother stared him incredulously. Then as if my dad has said the magic word my mother fell to the ground and began to cry. My dad looked me as if to say 'go talk to her'.

"Mom," I groaned.

"What is wrong with all of you?" She asked sobbing. Nothing I wanted to tell her. My dad and I just accepted what is to come and my mother is still stuck in her bubble of denial.

"Now, I can't even take you to beauty salon with me," she complained wiping her tears.

My dad gives me a look. I never have gone with my mother to the hair salon. She was just trying to find reasons.

"I got it covered. I am sure she will love Sam." My dad joked. Bad timing if you ask me. Sam is a guy that gives my dad's regular hair cut.

"She is not going to Sam," she shouted and left the room.

"Give her some time," my dad whispered following my mom.

It might be a little too late before my mom opens her eyes.

I changed into comfy sweatpants and lose t-shirt.

****

"Hey, are you going to Jackson's house?" He asked. I shook my head. I was eating breakfast at home today.

"What are we having today?" My dad asked rubbing his stomach. I looked at my mom waiting for the answer as well. She looked up at us when she noticed that no one was saying anything.

"What? This is the twenty first century, go make yourselves something." She snapped. It looked like she hasn't forgiven me yet.

"You know what? We will make the best breakfast ever!" My dad said, nudging my mom to the side with his hips. She raised her hand in surrender, leaving the kitchen path open.