The Evolution of Jackson

***

As I followed Jackson's mom my heart was screaming. She was usually very nice, calm and sweet mother. But for sure this was not the nice lady across from the street; this lady is your ideal bickering lover neighbor, who seems to mind none of her business. I was in trouble and it was even worse she caught me while my parents are still home. I didn't look up, I was embarrassed, already imagining the kind of dinner talk I will be having. My cheeks are burning, right then I didn't want to run or face off the asshole like I planned to, the only desire I had left been to hide. To simply disappear if that was possible.

"Are you okay Emma” asked Mrs. Pitch. If she knew she was certainly acting as if she has no clue. She opened up her the front door and marched in as if she was still angry.

"Mom I have to run, I am going to be late to class" The one and only Jackson called from the kitchen. I stopped where I was standing, thinking if it was too late to turn around run. But Jackson's mother having enough of my new strange behavior grabbed me by the hand and pulled me to the kitchen.

"You" Jackson hissed the moment he saw his mother and I walk in, into their grand kitchen. It is bigger than my kitchen and dining room combined. His house standing across from my house, it is as if my house didn't belong in the block. My family was the only ones who haven't refurbished yet. But Jackson's house was over doing it; it shines above our neighborhood houses and next to my house it is like comparing heaven and hell. The hell being my house.

It is literary like that; his family is the go-go-happy family, exactly the kind of heaven you want to liven while on earth, while mine is a constant fight, bickering, screaming and silent treatments, the kind of place you want to avoid at all cost. But nonetheless my mom and his mom have become best friends, while our fathers are awkward to be around. What do you expect when you put a respectable doctor and a construction worker together? It is not like they could have anything in common.

While my mom and his mom found cooking, exercise and sightseeing as common interest. My dad despises Jackson’s father, saying things like "the guy is full of himself" and "too uptight, raised like a girl". It was a typical comment I have heard almost for half my life, which was because that was when I realized the difference between my family and Jackson's.

But now it was strange to see my dad trying to make a conversation with Jackson's dad. It was eleven years late of an effort but he had no choice. The sickness has become number one priority now days. My dad was sacrificing his pride and dignity when he goes around asking for help. It is not as if any one can't see we needed help. Our house alone tells the story.

"Jackson, what is wrong with you? Where is your manner?" his mother scolded him and he looked down. Aw, no matter how tough he was, I admire that Jackson really respects his mother and it has been blackmail when we were kids. If he takes my ice cream the only name I have to mention to get my ice cream back was his mother. But he did get back on me, but his power was only in school. And he made sure to use that power very well.

"Sorry mom. I have to run" he sort of apologized. This was how far he was going to look sincere while I was present.

"Wait up, I have a thing to talk to you kids" she mumble and left to bring whatever that was she need to give or show us. We didn't wait a second when we began to scream at each other.

"You freaking told your mother?" I asked, shooting him a dagger look. If looks can kill, his family would be getting a funeral ready by now.

"Me! Are you crazy! It is you who opened your nonstop mouth and the whole school might know by now,” he screamed.