Sword in the Stone (2/2)

Start from the beginning

"That's what the druids call me."

"I'm impressed, and Lady Morgause will be as well. You will be a powerful ally. Morgause has searched for you for a long time. Come with me, and you will help rule Camelot."

"I don't want that. I've never wanted that. I don't seek power. Ruling Camelot is Arthur's destiny. Not mine."

Agravaine sighed, disappointed. "Fine, have it your way." He whipped out a dagger and threw it at her. The dagger stopped just before it reached Merlin's heart. With a flash of gold, the dagger was sent back towards Agravaine. 

Merlin took deep breaths as she tried to calm herself. Merlin was no killer. She walked towards Agravaine. He had died immediately. "You're lucky," she said, her voice shaky. "Anyone else would have made you suffer."

When Merlin found Arthur... he was going the wrong direction. "Merlin! Where have you been?"

Merlin tilted her head. "Were you worried about me?"

"No..." Arthur lied.

"You were! You came back to look for me!"

"All right, it's true. I couldn't bear to lose you."

"Really?"

"Don't be stupid." Arthur turned around and kept walking.

Merlin smiled to herself and followed him. Eventually, they made it out of the tunnels and found themselves near the top of the mountain overlooking the Forest of Essitir.

"We should head into the forest," Merlin said. "If anyone has survived the battle, that's where they'll be hiding."

"Let's go then."

-

After a long day's walk, Merlin and Arthur sat with their backs against a tree. Arthur brooded silently. "What's the matter?" Merlin asked. "Besides the obvious, of course."

"I was a fool. I put such trust in Agravaine..."

"He betrayed you. It wasn't your fault. You're being too hard on yourself."

"Am I? I should be more discerning, wise... a statesman. A king. But I'm not any of those. I'm good with a sword. That's all."

"Your people love you."

"Most of them are dead. Thanks to me."

"No, most of them escaped. They'll be here in the forest, I'm sure of that."

"Well, if they are, they'll have to find themselves a new king." Arthur stood up and walked off.

"Arthur... Arthur!" Knowing that he was too stubborn to listen, Merlin rested her head against the tree and sighed. She had to restore Arthur's faith in himself. The future of Albion depended on it. But how? Merlin looked around the area, searching for something, anything, to help. Then it occurred to her. She had been here before. It was about a year ago when she put Excalibur in the boulder. Merlin grinned to herself. She knew exactly what to do.

Arthur eventually returned to their campsite. Merlin made him sleep, claiming that he needed his strength. He tried to argue with her, but with a little bit of subtle magic, he was out like a light. Once she was sure he was unconscious, she went to search for the people of Camelot.

Luckily, they were not too to difficult to find. Large groups of people are hard to hide. Though, to be honest, it was them who found her. Specifically, Leon. "Merlin! You're alright!"

"Leon! You're here! Are the others here too?"

"Yes, most of them. They're with the rest of the villagers. Where's Arthur?"