Chapter 52

Once I've changed and come down the stairs I find Coraline at the bottom. I choose to ignore her, and start walking past but she stops me, "Christian wait."

I groan internally, "What is it Coraline?"

She bites her lip and looks down, "I'm really sorry for causing you problems."

I sigh, "It's fine Coraline. Just don't do it again."

She nods and says, "You like her more than any of us. I don't get it."

I frown, "Neither do I, but don't tell her that."

I'm sitting next to Emerson when Avery says, "Em, could you go get me an apple juice from the cafeteria?"

She nods, "Of course, you want anything else?"

Avery shakes her head and glances at me, "I'm sure."

When she's standing up I pull her to me and slip my wallet into her hand, "Christian I have-"

I give her a stern look, "No."

She rolls her eyes, "Hey Mr. I only have hundreds remember last night?"

I smirk, "I took care of that with your father earlier. Now go on baby."

I kiss the top of her head and she slides off my lap with a defeated sigh.

I look at Avery once Emerson is gone and say, "So what is it?"

She bites her lip, "Christian I don't understand...why try so hard with her, why be so good to her, if you have no intention of having a real relationship with her? Or making her believe in real relationships?"

I clear my throat, "I care about her Avery, and she deserves better than me. That's why I'm not pushing her."

"So you want more?"

I frown, "I'm not sure, and I'm sorry but it's really none of your business. I know you're happy with Jude, and I'm glad he makes you so happy and vice versa but Emerson has trust issues, and frankly so do I. It takes more than a few dates to figure things like that out."

"You flew to New York for her! You had me back you up on being her boyfriend, I want to understand Christian. If you have no intention of making her yours, why try so hard? Why do so much? You could have bought a ticket for her and sent her here by herself. You didn't have to fly her out here, you didn't have to come with her."

I sigh and rub my temples, "You're right. I didn't. But I care about Emerson, I can't explain how or why. But I do, and you just have to believe that Avery."

She nods and says, "Okay but if she ends up hurt I'm not letting you near her again. Do you understand me Christian?"

I nod, "Of course, and if I hurt her I wouldn't want to go near her and hurt her again. I couldn't bare to do that. So don't let me."

She nods slowly and looks up as Emerson comes through the doorway. Emersons eyes narrow and she says, "Avery you know I can tell when you lie to me right?"

Avery gulps and nods, "Yeah."

"Just checking."

Emerson hands the apple juice to Avery after opening it for her and I pull her into my lap as Adam walks in. He glances at my arms wrapped around Emerson and says, "Thanks for getting the hotel for us Christian, it was nice of you."

Avery looks over surprised, "You did that?"

I nod, "It was no problem, I have a hotel here, one I should probably check up on actually. Nothing like a surprise visit from the boss."