Chapter 27

I'm helping Avery pack up the food when my sister says, "Who's painting is that by the piano?"

Avery smiles, "It's your sisters. Didn't you know she paints?"

I bite my lip as Christian looks at me curiously and I say, "Actually she didn't know. I didn't start until I moved here and lived on my own and before that a teacher back in Paris helped me."

Jude looks surprised, "You went to school in Paris?"

I nod and Christian says, "Her brother and sister did too. Her last name is actually Cooper."

Jude looks at Avery and then says, "I thought you said Em had no family?"

I shrug, "I usually like to keep it that way. I don't want people associating me with my father."

He nods and says, "So telling my dad I know a Cooper is out of the question huh?"

I frown, "Why would he care?"

He smirks, "He's a fan of your dads work. He actually was very jealous when my moms friend Victoria got to meet him."

Coraline looks shocked, "Victoria Delwood as in my dads girlfriend?"

I press my lips together and Jude nods, "Yeah that's her. She's a bit of a bitch, although Christian argues otherwise."

I roll my eyes, "She is a bitch."

Christian glares at Jude as my sister says, "You only think so because you claim she was cheating on dad."

"She was cheating on dad."

"So? He cheated on mom."

"Not for reasons you would believe," I snap.

She rolls her eyes, "How could I believe you? You lied to mom and dad about everything."

I narrow my eyes, "And I learned from the best liar of them all didn't I?"

Avery sighs and nudges Christian, "I bet this is why she left home."

He meets my eyes as Jude says, "Actually from what I've heard Victoria cheated on her husband with some young guy. She cheats on everyone she's with. Apparently the guy moved on or something."

Christian frowns, "Who did you hear that from?"

Jude shrugs, "I overheard dad telling mom about it. He doesn't even want to see Victoria."

"That makes two of us," I mumble.

Christian eyes me and then looks at Jude, "Well she'll be at the company party whether dad likes it or not."

I look at Avery and her jaw drops open, she quickly closes her mouth as I nudge her, she looks at me with her eyes narrowed mouthing, We will talk later.

I groan internally as she then says, "Oh Em I forgot to tell you, Brown called to day."

I frown, "Brown? As in Mr. Brown?"

She nods, "Yeah, he has some job he'd like to give to you."

My jaw drops, "What?"

She smirks and glances at Christian who's gaze has darkened before she says, "Yep, but the job is in New York."

I gulp and say, "That's...that's all the way away from here."

She nods and says, "He said to have you call him sometime soon. He wants to settle it after his company party."

I nod and bite my lip as Coraline says, "Well at least you could be by mom."

I shake my head and place a carton in the fridge as Jude drags Christian into the living room. Avery says, "I'm staying at Jude's tonight. You can take my room if you want Em."