Chapter 42

When I arrive at the apartments Davis says, "Nine o'clock right?"

"Yes Davis. Thank you. I feel bad."

He shakes his head, "No Miss. Sinclair, Beth and I are just glad you're safe."

"I'll see you see Davis. Thank you."

I head inside and the man at the desk calls upstairs letting my mother know I'm home.

When the door opens she immediately wraps her arms around me, "Almost five years is way to long. Don't you ever do that to me again Emma."

I sigh, "Em, mom. Just Em."

She nods and pulls me inside, "Come on, I have dinner ready and then we can catch up."

I sigh and shake my head, "I have drinks tonight over an interview. I'll be back by eleven."

She sighs, "Oh all right."

After my mothers homemade meatloaf I change for the interview. A dark purple dress and black heels is what I put on, and I pull my hair up into a bun. It felt nice getting it out of my face for a change.

I'll admit, in my rush this morning after I got out of bed, and the shower with Christian I hadn't read the file I was given. So on the way to the restaurant I finally skim the file. I was interviewing a man who was my age and was sited as the next Christian Clark. His name was Pine. All I could think of was him, the one guy I didn't want to see. 

I sigh and go to look for the mans first name when Davis announces ,"We're here Miss. Sinclair."

"Thank you Davis," I say opening the door before he has a chance to move.

"Take your time Miss Sinclair."

I'm escorted to a table in the back once I give my name and a few minutes later a girl brings out my drink, an appletini. When I look up I find Adrian Pine walking across the room towards me. His eyes light up as I stand to greet him.

He eyes me, "I know your name is Emerson Sinclair but you look just like a friend of mine."

I sigh, "It's Emma Adrian."

He pulls me into a hug and looks me up and down, "Sweetie you look amazing."

"Thank you, you look well."

I sit down, "How are you doing?"

He smiles, "Quite well. Dropping out of Harvard was the best decison I've ever made. Two years changes a lot."

I nod, "Yes, it certainly does."

He leans forward and takes hold of my hand, "You know, I tried finding you. I wanted to fix things between us."

I gulp, "There isn't anything to fix Adrian. I just wasn't ready to get married."

He nods slowly, "We were too young...but I know were not now, and I would love to try again."

My stomach drops at the thought and all I can think of is Christian, "Adrian I can't."

He sighs, "It wouldn't be long distance. I'm moving my business out to Seattle before it picks up further."

I shake my head, "Adrian it's not just the distance. It's the relationship itself."

He eyes me, "Are you seeing someone?" At my pause of confusion he asks, "Is it serious?"

I shrug, "It depends on how I look at it I guess but-"

"Just give me a chance," he says quietly.

I bite my lip and gather myself, "How about we just get this interview over with okay?"

He nods slowly and takes a sip of his rum, "Sure. Let's get it over with."