PCK Chapter 6 Part 3! :D

Author's note at the end.  This chapter is more fun and light hearted, but Max is just too sweet!  I love him. <3  Oh, the guy on the side is another candidate for Nick.  It's Eric Dill. (He's singing in the video.... for a better view.)

Max and I walked into his house hand in hand and started up the stairs.

"Hey, Kye, you hungry?" his mother called.  I could see her in the kitchen, stirring something in a large pot.

"Not right now.  Thanks though," I said politely and Max pulled on my hand to continue to his room.

I was starting to get a little nervous.  I didn't know what to say to Max.  We finally reached his door and he opened it, motioning for me to go in first.  I did.  I didn't know whether to sit or stand or hug him and apologize.  I decided to go with stand.  Why did I have to make things so awkward?

I heard Max chuckle from behind me.  He crossed the room and sat on his bed.  I was standing awkwardly in the middle of his room.  My eyes were on his wood floor and I was playing with my fingers.  "What are you doing?" Max laughed.  I looked up at him then.  He was sitting on his bed with his back against the wall.  His legs were crossed and he was watching me with an amused glint in his eyes.

"I just feel kind of," I was talking really low but my voice somehow got even lower when I said the next work. "Awkward."  I am surprised that Max even heard me.  The only way I knew he did was because he started laughing. 

He was laughing so hard that all the sound disappeared.  Tears were rolling down his face and I blushed a little.  After a while, he regained composure.  "Rufus, I saw you naked, I saw you cut yourself, I saw you in the play in eighth grade, I was there when you had your first real boyfriend, and you've seen me on the crapper.  You'd think of all the things we've been through kissing me wouldn't make you feel awkward.  I mean we've done it before.  In front of people even."  He patted the spot beside him on the bed, but I stayed nailed to the floor.

"Those times were different.  We kissed those times because we had to.  We were 'dating'."

"Are dating," he corrected.

I rolled my eyes.  "You know what I mean.  We had never kissed alone with no one around.  It never should have happened."  I buried my face in my hands.

"Kyler, it did happen, and we can't take it back.  I don't regret it.  I mean, I kissed you back didn't I?  Honestly, I've wanted to really kiss you for a long time.  I needed to know if I could actually give you what you wanted.  I hate that I can't love you like I want to."  I walked to the bed and sat on the edge.  I wasn't too close to him, but further away than I wanted to be. 

"Why can't you, Max?  Is there something wrong with me?" I said.  I was desperate.  I loved Max as a best friend, but I liked him.  I really liked him, and I pushed my feelings to the side, but now they were boiling over.

"You know why.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with you.  You are beautiful and strong and smart.  Any guy would kill to have a girl like you.  I would kill for you, but I can't give you the love another guy could."  He smiled playfully.  "Well, you know, unless you got a change."  He winked.

I looked at him a bit confused.  Then it dawned on me.  "Max, I will not be surgically transformed into a guy!" I laughed.

He leaned over to me and pulled my arms.  He dragged me into his body.  He slid his back down the wall until we were lying side by side.  He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into his chest.  "I was just kidding," he said, seriously.  "I know you are going to find someone who can love you better than me.  I know that sounds completely impossible because I am the best lover in the world, but it's true."  His lips fell on my hair.  He pulled them off after a second and rested his cheek on my head.