PCK Chapter 24

Third period was a drag. Actually, everything seemed so boring after second period.

I was sitting in ninth period, struggling to stay awake through a film we were watching when a knock came to the door. "Kyler," the teacher said in his monotone voice. I glanced at him. His head was resting in his hand. His mouth was hanging open and his gray mustache was moving back and forth as he breathed. He was even struggling to stay awake. I then peered around at the class. I was the only one awake. Man, he was such a great teacher. There was another knock. "Kyler," the teacher said again. This time his eyes closed all the way.

I stared at him. My school had some major issues. I stood from me desk and walked to the door. I opened it, hoping for a principal.

Nick stood there. He gave me a confused look. "Where's your teacher?" he asked.

In answer, I opened the door wider and motioned for him to come in. He took a step past me. "Wow," he said. "Were you awake before I knocked?"

I nodded. He turned toward the film. I didn't even have any idea about what it was about. Class had only been going on for five minutes and this is what it was reduced to. I still had to bare it for another forty minutes or so.

Nick walked over to Mr. Monotone's desk and wrote something on a Post-It note. He then walked back over to me and motioned for me to follow him. "Do I need my stuff?" I asked. He nodded. I grabbed my backpack and binder. I patted Max on the cheek. "Wake up, sleepy head," I said. I didn't bother whispering. The whole class was out like a light.

Max shook his head. I laughed and walked out the door. I'd just text him.

"We're are we going?" I asked Nick once we were in the hallway.

"Kyler, I am very upset with your homework," Nick said. I made a confused face. "Now, I would make you come to my room and redo it, but it seems that you have been signed out." Nick held out a sheet of paper to me. I took it and he turned and walked down the hallway.

I unfolded the paper. I thought he'd liked my homework.

Go put your things up. I have already snuck into the office and signed you out. I'm leaving as well. You'll have to walk a little, but I'll pick you up and drive you the rest of the way home. I have plans for tonight.

I was about to smile, but then I remembered it was supposed to be bad. I frowned and shoved the paper into my backpack. "I thought it was okay," I mumbled for the hallway cameras.

I went to my locker and got the things I needed to take home and shoved them in my backpack. I sent a quick text to Max relaying the information.

A couple minutes later, I was walking down the street. I didn't know which way to go, so I decided to walk in the direction of Max's house. I walked past the school and past a what seemed like a dozen stores. I was about to turn around when I saw him leaning on the hood of a car. He was looking up at the sky.

I walked past one last shop and a few houses. I stopped in front of his car. "Is that your house?" I asked him, looking at the house of the drive way he was parked in.

"Nope," he said, popping the 'p'. "But it is away from all the cameras. I'm being more careful." He stood up from the car. "Ready?" he asked.

I suddenly became very hesitant. I was nervous about all of this. I was going to be riding in a car with him. I nodded.

He walked up to me and grabbed my hand. "Don't worry," he said with a smile on his face. "I'm an excellent driving."

He walked me to the passenger side and opened the door for me. "Seriously, don't be so nervous," he soothed, cupping my cheek.