Chapter Four- Iron

Overwhelming pain runs through burning hate, staining magical blood.  As the hunt for the young vampire-born lingers, the crack separating vampires and spellcasters guts open, the valley growing wider as the years pass by, an endless dark trench.  Wands and fangs threaten each other by the throat, both ends of magic on either side, humans in the middle; oblivious.  As hatred becomes power, the fusion of the two clans becomes darker, bloody, but most of all; 

prohibited.

Present Day

The night is dark, his pupils large and vigilant against magenta orbs, absorbing their surroundings.  His eyes shadow a hooded scowl as his lips are pressed together, his tongue tracing his gum while his mind spins a hash.  A black hoodie conceals his features apart from greasy blonde strands which hang from underneath, stretching out and glistening into the light.  Magenta eyes scurry and scan the empty streets as he crouches, hiding from his prey.  He feels a warm hand clamp on his shoulder, his finger tapping for the young man's attention.  Leaning back, his gaze still stuck on the mansion.  His hairs sway as they catch onto Carmelo's panting breathe.

"Are you sure about this, Cain?  He is still gone," Carmelo wheezes.

"Of course I'm sure, we've set this up for weeks.  No going back now,"  The hand, unconvinced, settles in its place, digging deeper until finally deciding to let go.  Cain sighs and cocks his head to the side, catching a glimpse of his accomplice in matching dark clothes.  His bright blue inquisitive eyes stare back like an endless ocean of doubt.

"I don't know, man..."

"Aren't the best robberies when the person isn't at home?  One less obstacle to deal with," Cain pulls himself forward again, scrutinizing the distant building.  A moth above them pounds against the streetlight, shattering its wings as it desperately willed the light.  All good things to those who wait, Cain reminds himself as he holds back his desire to charge.  Fortune glimmers before him, just waiting for him to reach out and snare it.  He closes his eyes as he reruns the plan in his head like a melodious lullaby to a child.

"Hey... do you think this guy is a vampire?" Like a scratch to a disc, Cain's thoughts crack under the pressure of the mystical word.  His mind gags at the memory, flipping images of darkness.  Carmelo continues, his tone blind to the bubbling fire, "I mean, think about it.  He only goes out of his home at night, he never goes grocery shopping-"

"Will you quit it, Mel?"  Cain whips his head around, glaring dark orbs at his curious words.  Anger began to gather within; a boiling pot of memories and violence.  Coerced by the colours in his eyes drilling in him, Carmelo shifts his gaze away, hanging his head as he swings slightly on his toes.  "We need to focus,"

"I don't get what the big deal is, Cain.  You saw-"

"A vampire didn't kill my mother," he grumbled.

"But that's what you said seven years ago, and-"

"I was a dumb kid back then," 

"Wha-?  You can't just make up your mother's death like that with a-" A vein pops as blood rushes like fire through Cain.

"STOP!" Cain hollers out into the night.  The trashcan nearby shudders as it turns over mysteriously, an invisible force pounding at it.  Both turn to watch as it rolls down, over the stony road.  As one holds his breathe, the other heaves as the remainder shriek escapes his throat.  Carmelo stares at the blank wall, his mind equally blank.  A shattering silence trembles between them.  "Stop bringing this up every time we are in this neighborhood.  You don't know what I saw. You don't know what happened."