Chapter Three- Reflection

(Still Seven Years Earlier)

Sparkles fluttered in the air as sunken eyes dug deep.  The young child clutched onto the mug, peering into the rippling water.  Small frightened eyes stared back as a chilling wind passed through.  A shiver rolled down his spine as he shook, spilling water from his cup.  The wind's attempts to encourage him were submerged by the overwhelming misgiving.  His head ascended back into reality from his wonders as the image shattered into countless pieces, the reflection's clearness disturbed by turbulence.  A keen ray of purple light shot through the air before his eyes, shocking the boy as the empty mug greeted the boy, water colliding into his face.  Giggles erupted behind him as he squinted, wiping water off with his small palms.

"Got you!" a pitchy voice squeaked between laughs.  As Ambrose cleared his eyes of the sudden tremor, he shifted his gaze from the mug's bottom to her dainty figure.  Ivory hair shone as brown wild eyes ogled him, her eyelashes fluttering with mischief.  A dark purple rune blazed on her forehead, an impish sparkle radiating with her laughter.  The young boy stumbled on his words as scattered moans escaped his lips. 

"Clove!  That was uncalled for!" another high voice shrilled at her sister.  The two chirped as water rolled down, spiraling down his curls as they dripped onto his shoulders.  As he paced forward, a third voice hollered out from the laughter.  

"Clove!  When I asked you to wake him up, that was not what I meant," a gleeful frail voice spoke.  His pink hues playfully whisked as he walked towards the children.

"Yes, Sammy!" Clove joyfully shrilled as she swayed back and forth in a satisfied rhythm on tiny feet.  Valeria spun her head toward Ambrose as she smiled softly, reaching out to him with her soft hand.  The magical rune glowed a gentle gold as it lay present on her forehead, stronger than the brightness of day.  Nodding, Ambrose shyly paced forward as the two, hands intertwined, started towards their mentor.

"Now," Sammy began, "let's begin?"  The boy silently nodded as he nervously peered down into the empty mug,  "I want you all to- ... Where is Vireo?" The elder spellcaster tilted his head as he scanned the scene.  His dark hair sprouted streaks of silver, a symbol of vivid age.

"I think he left while you weren't looking," Valeria replied in a responsible tone.  Clove scoffed as the word snitch rolled off her tongue.  Oblivious to their quarrel, Sammy approached the young boy, curly hair covering his ashen face.  Kneeling down, the grass bedded his knee as he lay a gentle hand on the boy's shoulder.  Sammy was met with a quivering emerald gaze.

"What is it, Ro?  And where is your water?"

"It spilled," he spoke in whispers as he hid the cup behind him along with his shame.

"Let's try again, okay?"

Ambrose shrunk and duck his head again, nibbling on his lower-lip as words struggled to vocalize.  "I can't do it, Sammy...  I tried but nothing happens.  Something is wrong..."

Sammy smiled as he edged closer to the boy.  He placed his forehead on his own in a warm gaze.  "Nothing is wrong with you.  You're just not doing it correctly, that's all.  Trust me, no one has had to redo as many potions as I did!"

"But this is different, Sammy... I'm different," His words were big, his voice small, like a whisper in a deep drench of emotion.  The older warlock simply shook his head as he brought his hand up to caress the boy's soft cheek.

"Let's do this again.  I'll help you,"  Bringing himself up, he patted Ambrose's head as he looked up into the bright clear sky.  The blue swelled with his pink eyes, transforming into a brilliant purple swirl.  The air was dry, the birds chirped along sweetly.  The sun beamed as it tried catching the wind, chasing it through his hair and ears as it chuckled away away.