Sword in the Stone (1/2)

Start from the beginning

Morgana was interrupted by the sound of a door being slammed shut. Percival and Gwaine barred the door.

"How do we stand?" Gaius asked.

"The citadel is overrun. We can't hold on much longer," Percival reported. 

"How long before they reach us?"

"Minutes at best."

"We can't wait for Arthur. If they find him, they'll kill him," Merlin said.

"We must get him to safety while we still can."

"Arthur would never abandon his people," Gwaine spoke up. "He'd rather die."

"Barricade the doors," Merlin told them. "Give us as much time as you can." Merlin and Gaius stepped to the side. "We need to get Arthur out of here whether he likes it or not. Give him some sort of potion, something to knock him out?"

"I don't have anything strong enough. In my chambers, perhaps, but the Southrons control the place."

"There must be something we can do!"

"I'm sorry, Merlin. Maybe there's something you can do. Arthur won't go willingly. What if he was to lose his will?"

"Are you suggesting magic?"

"You'll do it?"

"I can try."

They walked over to where Arthur sat. Merlin positioned herself behind him while Gaius stepped in front of him. "I'm sorry, Sire. This is going to hurt."

"Just get on with it!"

Gaius pressed his hands against Arthur's wound and Arthur howled in pain. Meanwhile, Merlin whispered a spell to take away his will. Arthur blinked. His eyes were unfocused.

Gwaine and Percival rushed up to them. "We need to leave now, sire."

"Of course," Arthur agreed. He stood up very unsteadily.

Gwaine furrowed his eyebrows and Percival just stared. Merlin shrugged. The two knights shook off their surprise. "Then let's go," Percival said. Percival swung Arthur's arm around his neck and helped him out.

Merlin gathered Arthur's things. "Get your stuff, Gaius."

"You go, Merlin. I'll just slow you down."

"Gaius, no!"

"G̶a̶i̶u̶s̶ ̶,y̶e̶s̶ . You know it's for the best."

Gwaine came back towards them. "Gwaine, I thought you were going with them?"

Gwaine shook his head. "No. I'll stay here and keep them off your back for as long as I can."

Merlin nodded. "Alright. Stay alive for me, okay?"

"I'll do my best." Gwaine gave Merlin a quick peck on the cheek and shoved her towards the door.

"Look after out king, Merlin," Gaius called.

Merlin hesitated, but then ran off. Morgause stormed into the room not even a minute later.

-

Merlin, Percival and Arthur slowed to a stop. They were now deep into the woods. "Thank you, Percival," Arthur said, removing his arm from Percival's shoulder. Percival gave Arthur an odd look.

"Can you walk on your own?" Merlin asked.

"Oh, yes. Just point me in the right direction."

Percival shushed them as he heard footsteps approach. He reached out and grabbed someone. "Elyan!"