2 • Why Us?

Steve sat on his bed, just sighing in the empty, dimly lit dormitory before Dani walked in and sat next to him.

"Scared for tomorrow?" She asked.

"A little. I'm finally gonna be a real soldier." Steve said. Dani falls back onto the bed and so that's she's laying sideways across it, Steve doing the same next to her.

"Size doesn't make you a soldier, Rogers. It's bravery! Kindness! Patriotism! And most of all, a big di--" Dani said, staring straight up.

"Dani," Steve warned, and Dani grinned, stopping herself.

"Okay, okay. But you are a real soldier. Whether you got picked for the super-soldier thing or not, you'd still be in the army. You're a good guy, as much of a dumbass as you are." Dani smiled, and Steve chuckled a bit before replying.

Thanks." Steve said, smiling at the ceiling.

The pair laid in comfortable silence for a while, Dani's hands laced together over her chest, the hem of her shirt slightly rolled up as her hair spread across the sheets, while Steve had a small smile on his face, with one arm draped over his stomach and messy hair.

"You know, there's something I've always wanted to tell you. And it seems like the right time, seeing as things could go horribly wrong tomorrow." Dani said, sitting up. Steve did the same, looking at her with his head cocked in confusion.

"Then say it," Steve said, and Dani could almost feel the air between them thicken, making her cheeks heat up and making her heart beat a little faster.

"It's a little hard to explain..." Dani said, before quickly kissing an innocent Steve, whose eyes widened in shock and perplexity.

Dani began to mumble 'oh shit' under her breath continuously before Steve gently touched his lips, looking down at his hand.

He looked up to see a very nervous Dani, anxiously combing her fingers through her hair, curses spilling from her lips.

Her lips. That was something Steve was now actively staring at, with wide but joyous eyes. He didn't really know how to approach the situation, so he tried his best to use Bucky's advice, even though he knew things would probably go to shit.

"Dani?" Steve asked with a small smile, and she looked up at him, almost as if she was going to cry and scream but also hug him and tell him he was the best.

Steve didn't wait a second longer, quickly closing the ever-shrinking gap between them. But once he was there, he tried his best to savour the moment.

Soon enough, Dani linked her fingers behind Steve's neck, smiling into the kiss, while Steve sort of had his hands hovering around her shoulders, back, and waist, not knowing what to do.

But unfortunately, their moment was ruined by a knock on the door, and then the opening of it.

The pair quickly pulled away and Steve wiped his lips with the back of his hand to remove any lipstick, before realising that Dani isn't wearing any.

"May I?" Erskine asked, smiling slightly at the blush on both their faces.

"Yeah, sure," Dani said, still a little flustered at what had just happened.

"Can't sleep?" Erskine asked.

"Yeah... Got the jitters, I guess." Steve said, fiddling with his fingers, a sheepish smile on his face.

"Haha. Me too." Erskine said.

"Can I ask you a question?" Steve asked.

"Just one?" Erskine smiled, and Steve smiled back.