1 • Stark Expo

"I can do this all day." Steve panted, attempting to punch the larger man, but his arm was caught and he got hit instead.

"Hey!" A voice said, making both men stop and stare at the woman walking up to them.

The man let go of Steve and turned to the girl with a disgusting grin.

"Well hello there, sweetheart. Maybe after I take care of this little--"

"Finish that fucking sentence. I dare you." She said menacingly.

"What are you going to--" She stopped the man, grabbing his shoulder and in one swift movement, popping out of place, causing the man to shout in terror and pain.

"Now leave, or I'll bite your whole fucking arm off." She said, and the man ran for his life, clutching his shoulder in immense pain.

"You okay?" The woman asked, turning to Steve with a concerned look.

"Language, Dani," Steve said, grinning at his friend slightly.

"Really? I save you and I get 'language'?" Dani asked jokingly, pulling Steve off the ground.

"You know, sometimes I think Steve likes getting punched," Bucky added, entering the alleyway.

"Me too. I had to save his ass again." Dani said.

"I had him on the ropes," Steve claimed.

"Of course you did, Stevie," Dani said, leaning her arm on his shoulder.

"Don't call me that," Steve said, shrugging her off and groaning at the all-too-familiar nickname.

"How many times is this?" Bucky asked, picking up a piece of paper on the floor and opening it up to see '4F' stamped on the form.

"Oh, so you're from Paramus now? You know it's illegal to lie on the enlistment forms. Seriously, Jersey?" Bucky said.

"Bucky, he's trying and he deserves it. All he wants is to serve his country." Dani said, smiling.

"Thanks, Dani. You get your orders?" Steve asked, turning back to Bucky.

"107th. Sergeant James Barnes shipping out for England first thing tomorrow." Bucky announced.

"I should be going," Steve mumbled. The three friends stood in silence for a minute, before Bucky put his arms around Steve and Dani.

"C'mon guys, it's my last night! We gotta get you cleaned up." Bucky said excitedly.

"And Dani has to wear a dress," Bucky added, grinning.

"Nope. Fuck that." Dani said, immediately shutting down the idea.

"Where are we going?" Steve asked.

Bucky handed him a newspaper and beamed as Steve opened it up to see a picture of the Stark Expo.

"The future."

✧✧✧

"I don't see what the problem is. You're about to be the last eligible man in New York. You know there are three and a half million women here." Bucky informed him.

"Yeah, well I'd settle for just one," Steve muttered.

"Good thing I took care of that." Bucky grinned, waving at someone in the distance.

"Hey, Bucky!" A high-pitched, feminine voice called out.

"What'd you tell her about me?" Steve asked, looking as nervous as ever.

"Only the good stuff," Bucky assured him.

But even if it was only the good stuff, Steve was left behind while Bucky captivated the attention of both girls. They ran over to where Howard Stark was speaking while Steve followed slowly behind.