31. Fight Fire with a Teleporter - Part 1

There was an unnatural chill in the air. It seeped right into Raz's bones, making them feel brittle as he held his quick pace to the castle. Beside him, Selene walked stiffly trying to force her body to stop trembling.

Raz would have driven them up but it wasn't the Redeemer way. A normal Redeemer would have flown himself. Instead, Denise had teleported them far enough from the castle where they wouldn't be seen but close enough that they could walk.

"Are you afraid?" Raz asked. He has skipped his meals in case his stomach decided to revolt.

She remained silent, her face luminous even under the moonless sky. Raz sighed.

She had been ignoring him ever since the day he admitted he had been talking to Theron. He guessed he should be glad that she hadn't kicked him out.

She would though.

After tonight. This was his last chance and he only had one card to play. It wasn't helping that he was almost certain how she'd react to that play.

"Don't be afraid. No matter what Kali might have said, I'll be with you the entire time."

Selene kept ignoring him, the knuckles of her hands were white from clutching her oversized coat to the chest. Raz would have offered her his jacket but she wouldn't accept it.

Despite how much he had pestered Selene, she refused to tell him her role in the plan. He only knew his role, which was to guide Theron and Selene to an empty room and keep him there. That was the bare minimum Kali could have asked him to do. Even if Raz did nothing,

Raz didn't know what would happen next but he was going to warn Theron about Isaac's plot if it killed him.

Raz cleared his throat and tried to talk to Selene again. "We're just going to walk in. Normally. Theron will be waiting."

She turned to him abruptly. "How do you know Theron will be waiting?"

Raz hid a smile.

"Last time I saw him, I told him enough of our plan. Even though he hasn't heard from him he'll be expecting me."

She gave him a steely gaze.

Despite Kali's reassurances that this would all work out, he still felt dreading pooling beneath his stomach.

As Raz and Selene neared the gates of Castle Elysium, that dread multiplied. Normally, guards would have appeared, heralding them to everyone. Right now, the only thing they were greeted by was darkness and wind blowing softly. It was so dark, here in the mountains, you could see all the stars entirely uninterrupted. He had missed them in the city.

Raz hesitated before banging the huge brass door knocker against the thick wooden planks of the gate. The sound was amplified in the silence.

As soon as Raz stepped back, the door opened, revealing Isaac. "Ah you've finally arrived with your target."

"What are you doing here?" Raz blurted out. Theron trusted Isaac to guide them to him. This was so bad. Isaac was privy to Theron plan entirely. He might as well know his secret.

"Fetching you to Theron of course." Isaac smirked. "Wouldn't want anyone catching the siren talk. You haven't gagged her?"

"I saw no reason to. Her powers don't work on me."

"Hmm interesting." He tapped his ear piece. "I had to take the appropriate precautions. Not everyone has. We didn't warn anybody to keep her arrival a secret. She should have been gagged."

"Well, she's not. Are you going to take us to see Theron or not?" Raz asked irritatedly.

Isaac smiled and widened the door open. "Fortunately she seems well-behaved tonight."