23. Death Race

Raz realised he was a bad driver when he failed the same level eighteen times in a row. It had been a while since he had the chance to play a game.

Castle Elysium forbade all unnecessary activities like games and even technology if it wasn't used for defence.

He had been excited when he found an old PlayStation model in Selene's home which was a large enough penthouse to explore. Although most of her rooms were bare with one or two furniture pieces. The only rooms that were filled were the living room, kitchen and he assumed her bedroom. The emptiness of those rooms was unsettling considering how carefully the owner decorated the other rooms.

Excitement had quickly turned to disappointment when he realised the only game she had was 'Death Race'.

He hated racing games.

Still, it was odd to find a gaming system in Selene's possession. While she didn't forsake all unnecessary items judging by the items cluttering all surfaces, she didn't seem like someone who liked games.

At least not the kind that didn't involve other people.

So, he had spent all afternoon with 'Death Race', ignoring all the things going wrong in his life. In all, it wasn't the worst day he had. At least, the couch was comfortable, a reprieve for his still sore abdomen.

He had been so engrossed with getting past level forty-nine, he hadn't heard Selene's soft footsteps.

"You're still here?" she asked, sneering.

Raz turned to find her standing next to him, looking down. The room was cast in shadows, lit only by the blue-white light of the screen - he hadn't realised afternoon turned to evening. Selene's face was shrouded in the dark, unable to be analysed.

"Was I not meant to be here?" Raz placed the controller down.

She sighed before replying with, "No. You were." She jumped over the top of her sofa, sitting a good distance away from him and taking a plush cushion, squeezing it to her chest.

"Why did you agree to Kali's plan? I didn't think you would seek vengeance with your whole honour schtick."

Raz blinked. He couldn't tell her the real reason he had agreed. Because I need to know what Kali is planning. Because I need to get you two to Castle Elysium for Theron. Because I need to keep you safe.

He didn't want to be double-crossing Selene but this was the lesser evil. She didn't trust him yet to go to Castle Elysium of her own volition. He only hoped she would see he did this to protect her.

But he still hated lying to her so he replied with a truth. "Just because I'm honourable and don't look to kill doesn't mean I won't if necessary. You know that. If someone is a threat to me"-He looked at Selene through the sides of his eyes"-or someone I care about, vengeance cannot be avoided. I just don't kill for fun."

Although Selene's face was still covered by shadows, he could see her eyes narrowing at that. "I don't kill for fun either you know!"

Raz raised his eyebrows. She didn't kill for fun anymore - according to her - but Selene still toyed with humans. But maybe it wasn't for fun...

"Then what?" He asked.

"It's just - Nothing."

A heavy silence fell on them again. Selene had been silent and unlike her usual teasing self ever since he kissed her today. She felt it as he did. The mate bond ensnaring around the two of them.

She must be terrified at the sensation.

Although Raz understood it, he was also disturbed by it. It was a violent and unnatural thing to want someone so bad, enough to kill to protect them, enough to turn your back on your family but not even know them.