27. Like An Angel

"Cozy, weren't we?" Theron drawled, leaning against the brick wall of an alley, his wings protruding sideways.

"Aren't you worried humans will see?" Why did Theron always have to brandish his wings to him, waving around an eternal symbol of what he would never have?

Theron shrugged, "They think it's a costume. As if humans could recreate something this divine."

Raz decided not to inform him of the wonders of CGI. He doubted Theron had watched a movie in his life. He moved closer, ignoring the invasion of stale cigarette scents wafting up from the ashes of butts on the floor. "What do you want?"

"Oh, I see. Now you have your mate, you have no time to help out your brother."

Despite the fact that Theron had an aristocratic face and the pale hair typical to Redeemers, he looked more like a criminal than he did an enforcer. Or even a king. It was maybe the flinty look in his eyes, made to look like steel in the hits of the afternoon sun. They seemed to see through you, straight to some unseen vision Theron had and Theron always had a vision.

"What's the plan?" Theron asked, finally.

"How come you ask about the plan now? We could have already implemented the plan by now, it's been a week."

Theron raised his brows, "Think like an immortal. Time is something we always have in our disposal. No immortal with their mental faculties working would enact a plan in less than a week." He paused before continuing, "Which makes me think... Isn't your precious mate wondering why we aren't looking for her anymore."

"She thinks we don't know where she lives," Raz admitted.

"Dull-witted." Before Raz could retort, he waved a hand, "Well, tell me about your expert little plan..."

Raz glared, "Kali has an almost completely accurate of Castle Elysium, with the dungeons-"

Theron stood up straight at that. "What?" He screeched.

"You heard me."

"How could she get such a thing?" Theron asked, clenching his fists hard enough to make the skin on his knuckles white.

"She said something about a psychic..."

"The bitch must have been planning this for at least three decades, probably longer!" Theron hissed, a large vein bulging in his forehead. "Why is everyone around me absolutely useless? How is one man meant to fix it all?"

"Do you want to hear the rest of the plan or not?" Raz asked. He wanted to head home already.

Home.

He called Selene's house home. It was not home, even though he enjoyed the week he spent there more than he had enjoyed staying decades in the Redeemer stronghold.

"Right," Theron said grimly, running a hand over his pale hair. "When I find out who was weak enough to succumb to mental protrusions, they are dead."

"Kali has a teleporter on hand, Denise. Her plan is to have me bring Selene to you. Since you want your secret"-Raz made air quotation marks- "to remain one, you'll use the truth serum on Selene in a room with just yourself and her."

"And then Kali, you and the teleporter will surprise me and kill me?"

"What?" Raz said, taking a step back in surprise. "No one said anything about killing anyone."

"Trust me. No one would put this much effort into a plan if it weren't to kill someone. Why does she want to kill me? I cannot remember killing anyone that she might care about."

Raz sighed, "No, she doesn't want to kill you. She needs to get something off you. She even maintained that in case we get ambushed, she'll teleport you out."