18. Trust A Dishonest Man

Selene exhaled through her nose, trying to still the hot heat of fury rising within her.

"Before you command me to jump through the windows," Kali said, with her hands up in surrender. "Just hear me out."

Selene chuckled. If the witch thought she was leaving without serious injury, she was dreaming. Selene had only opened her mouth before a voice behind her interrupted her.

"Try it, siren."

Denise.

The witch's friend had her hand raised to the back of Selene's head. Her scalp was tingling with the magic shooting out of Denise's hands. She could have Selene on the floor in a second.

This one was beginning to irritate her.

Kali looked sheepish. "I brought her along in case you did try to kill me but she means no harm, I swear!"

Selene doubted that when Denise glared at her as she moved to sit beside Kali.

She debated whether she should get rid of the two but decided against it. Kali had intel that she needed. It wasn't just her life at stake. Raz's kind had turned on him. Her villainous side was already calculating how she could use this to her advantage.

To her surprise, Selene's heart began to feel heavy at the thought. She tried to alleviate it by thinking about how she was really doing Raz a favour. The Redeemers didn't even trust him enough to do his own mission. He was being belittled and disrespected and Selene could set him free. Despite her logical thinking, her heart sank deeper still.

"You have five minutes and I don't appreciate being threatened," Selene snarled. She also doubted she would be alive if Kali had wanted her head.

"Okay, it's true. I sold you a fake spell." Kali said quickly, scattering Selene's flow of thoughts. "But I did that for a personal experiment and I was following you. If the Redeemer hadn't come in time, I would have stepped in."

"Oh, like you could take them on!" Selene scoffed. There was no way in hell the witch would get into someone else's fight. Not without something to gain.

She hadn't been friends with the witch but she liked her. She thought Kali liked her too. Not that Selene wouldn't hesitate to kill her if she stood in the way of what Selene wanted...

But Selene wouldn't have done it behind Kali's back, she respected the witch enough for that.

Evidently, the witch did not reciprocate.

Kali must also think she was stupid if she believed that story.

Kali glared at Selene, "Excuse me! I am more than capable of taking on two Redeemers if I am prepared."

Denise nodded grimly beside her. Who was she? As far as Selene knew, the witch did not practice slavery. So why was this woman acting like one?

"What experiment?" Selene demanded. She had no time to humour Kali today.

"Just a theory! You'll find out about it soon enough." Seeing Selene's quick frown, Kali added, "It's nothing bad! I swear it on my mother's life."

Selene narrowed her eyes, "I thought you said your mother was dead."

"Not dead, missing!" Selene could remember the witch crying about her lost mother, after quite a few drinks, vividly. The aftermath of battle tended to make Kali weepy though no one could tell for sure if the tears were real.

Selene rolled her eyes. She didn't care to untangle her web of lies. She had to know about the poison. "Get to the point!"

Kali shifted her gaze to Denise then back to Selene. "Do you have some food? We left in a hurry and I am famished -"