20. Kiss And Tell - Part 1

Raz kicked a wet leaf, browned with decay, making it stick to the side of his shoes. He shook his foot but the leaf refused to budge.

This is my life right now, he thought grimly to himself.

Raz stood in a secluded section of Central Park, waiting for Theron. Raz couldn't sense Theron around but he knew that Theron would find him. As if Theron wasn't actively trying to find him to take him to trial.

So the hunter becomes the hunted.

Raz stepped back into the shade of the beech tree, avoiding the sun rays. He closed his eyes, letting the breeze blow at his face trying not to think about how wrong his life was going. His muscles at his shoulders relaxed even as they brushed against the rough bark. For a while, his world was only darkness and the wind sighing in his ears and it was peaceful.

For the first time in weeks.

Then there was an image of Galen. Galen with his mouth gaping. A hole blown through his throat.

Raz blinked his eyes open.

He had never liked Galen. He was unbearable, jumping into action without thought and he never missed a chance to rub in his wings to Raz.

Still, he felt a fat bug crawl up his guts, raking through his intestines at the image.

Five more minutes, he thought, rubbing a hand through his hair. Five more minutes and I leave.

And go where? Raz had nowhere to go. As if he could storm into Castle Elysium like he didn't have the blood of an angel on his hands.

Raz didn't even know why he was waiting. Killing another Redeemer was an unforgivable offence, punishable by death. What was he going to say to Theron in response? I'm sorry I killed Galen, I had to do it to protect my target. I won't do it again.

The worst part was that it was a lie. He was sorry he had killed Galen but given the chance, he would do it again. He didn't even feel that bad about it.

Galen was deadly with a dagger. He would have made it painful for Selene. He enjoyed gutting his victims from the belly up.

He thought of Selene lying in the alley, in a pool of her blood, her eyes wide and unblinking...

Selene who went around wrecking lives without a care. Selene who made muffins for fun. Selene who was infuriating. Selene who got nervous in large crowds...

Cold and dead.

Raz shivered, sweat breaking at his nape.

He shifted his thought to Selene, alive. Stirring her muffin mix, staring wide-eyed, as he left the kitchen without a word. He had almost left her apartment right then and there but the witch Kali had stopped him, yelling, "You can't leave shirtless! You'll give people heart attacks with those abs."

He still wasn't quite sure if he liked her yet.

He had then left with clothes on his back while Selene watched in silence. He didn't miss the slight crease between her eyebrows though. He had left without explanation.

After he had mauled her in her kitchen.

Goddamnit! Raz should be the one demanding explanations! What had Theron been thinking, having Galen interfere in Raz's mission? What was he trying to achieve, having Raz comatose?

He wouldn't take his sentence sitting down!

The wind around him picked up, sending grit into his eyes. Raz shielded his eyes with his hand, the thin skin of his hands stinging from the dirt thrown by the gale.