26. Curve Ball - Part 2

All three heads whipped to the source of the commotion. A small group of boys were fixated around a game. Raz's superior vision made out the reason for their happy yells. A high score screen for MarioKart.

Raz turned to find Selene's eyes aimed at Cass, in a keen gaze. Cass' own eyes were still on the boys. No, they were on one in particular. The one they were all fist-bumping.

"Who are they? They're making such a racket." Selene said, in a shrewd tone. It was the tone a hunter adopted in calming a startled prey and it made the hairs stand up on the back of Raz's neck.

"Oh, they're just some boys from my high school," Cass said distractedly. "Sorry, I'll tell them to be quieter."

"No need, I'm sure they were just excited about the victory of one of their friends. He must be very good at the game to be so successful."

Cass frowned at Selene's odd choice of words but somehow they must have struck the right tone. She said, "Yes, that's Ian. He's very good at everything." Not the right tone Her voice was laced in her siren persuasion.

Selene smirked in Raz's direction at that. "At everything?" A feeling of dread squirmed in Raz's stomach.

"Yeah, at everything! He's like the district champion for swimming and he's so good at MarioKart and he's so nice."

Selene raised her eyebrows, her lips slightly cringing. She turned to Cass, staring right into her eyes. "You should go congratulate him then if he's so good. I bet he would appreciate a free beverage."

"Selene..." Raz said warningly.

Selene continued, her eyes never breaking from Cass, "In fact, he might really like a meal along with it. Perhaps you should sit with him for... Companionship?"

"Uh, I don't think..." Cass said.

"Don't think." Selene offered. "Just do it."

"Okay..." Cass wiped her hands on her thighs before walking towards the boy.

"Why did you do that? Do you think it's fun to humiliate her?" Raz said angrily.

"That would be fun." She nodded. "But that's not what's about to happen."

Raz shook his head. "You can't just force people to do things for your enjoyment! It's unnecessarily cruel! She didn't deserve it!"

Selene dragged a nacho chip to her mouth. "Oh, this is actually very bad." She munched on two more before adding. "It's very good though too..."

Raz sighed. How could she not understand what she did hurt people? He knew she felt guilt. She had feelings. Why would she do this?

"Don't be dramatic," She said. "That boy has an annoying voice and a bald patch just waiting to happen. The kind thing would have been not to make her talk to him."

"What?"

Selene gestured to where Cass was talking with Ian, the guy she gushed about. Raz winced waiting for a crestfallen look on her face but then her face twisted into a grin. Ian grinned back at her. Raz looked closely at him and true to Selene's words, his hairline was far too high.

"Okay... That did help her out but you can't force people to do things. If she were ready she would have done it."

"She was ready," Selene said simply, snacking on another chip.

"How do you possibly know that?"

"I just do."

"Because you're immortal and that makes you superior to a human?"