25. Curve Ball - Part 1

"Really," Selene said, glancing at herself and at the giant neon 'Laserbeam Bowling and Arcade' sign at the doors. She donned a monogrammed mini dress with thigh-high boots despite Raz telling her to dress casual. She told him this was her casual.

"I can't believe you haven't ever gone bowling before. It's a human must-do."

"You have?"

"Once. Someone's birthday party."

Selene sighed deeply, shielding her eyes from the sun.

Raz was surprised he had convinced her to come with him in the first place. Selene hadn't done anything outright that made him think she wanted him in her house yet she had set two plates for every meal. When he bought more games, asking her if she wanted to join, she had agreed. Not only that, but she ordered him to buy more games where she could shoot people. Her aim was remarkably true.

Most surprisingly, when he offered to cook her dinner, she scoffed but let him help her with the meal.

It was too domestic, the two of them in the kitchen working silently together. Brushing against each other at times.

Yet, that was all at her home. He was unsure how to take her on a date without being obvious that he was asking her out on a date. She might say no if she knew.

It didn't matter in the end because Selene didn't have any knowledge of dates despite her excessive knowledge of human pop-culture. She was confused when he asked her if she wanted to eat out.

"You're welcome to cook your own meals," she had said with an eyebrow arched up.

"No, I thought it might be fun..."

She wrinkled her nose, "What's so enjoyable about eating in public? Are you attempting to spy on someone?"

Raz gaped at that. "Uh... Never mind. What about a human activity? Do you want to go bowling?"

"You want to lug around a large weight?"

"What do you do for fun then?"

Selene thought for a minute. "We could go to a bar and make someone max out their credit card. It's kind of funny sometimes to imagine their reaction the next day. Actually, you might think that's lame. You could always join a bar brawl?"

"Are you - Are you joking?"

Selene laughed, "Not the credit card part! But I don't do that anymore. It's incredibly boring after your first time, I could help you if you want to try."

"No."

"Why do you want to do something? Are you bored?"

"No! I thought you might like trying something new. Bowling is kind of a basic human thing but I understand it would be very dull for you to play with me since I would win so easily."

Selene narrowed her eyes, "Actually, hold that thought..."

His mate had a competitive streak.

He was also glad to be going out with her because they would avoid Kali for sure. He had spent the past few days helping Kali produce a map of the dungeons beneath Castle Elysium. Where had she even got it from? Raz would have to find out. Intimate knowledge of the castle was unsafe for the Redeemers. The witch was wily...

Yet, she didn't suspect for a minute that Raz was giving her incorrect details.

There was also the matter of Selene and Kali lying about the poison. Raz was definite there wasn't a poison that could kill a Redeemer let alone believe Theron would use such a poison on him.