xix| Stillborn

Maria didn't sleep at all the night before the funeral, instead, sitting above in the astronomy tower

Maria didn't sleep at all the night before the funeral, instead, sitting above in the astronomy tower. Every once and a while she would fly down to the forest, taking her pent up anger at the world out on the trees.

Every minute of the night was torture for the fairy, her mind racing through all the reason on why it was all her fault. Before she knew it the sun was rising. Today was the day.

Heading up to her room before people crowded the hallways, Maria quickly made her way in, leaning against the back of the door as she caught her breath.

Time seemed to stop at that moment, every emotion known to mankind flooding her system. With a rage-fueled scream, Maria lashed out at the nearest objects, tearing paintings off the walls and smashing a nearby vase. Obstacles such as side tables and chairs were thrown across the room in efforts to elevate the anger pumping through her veins.

Panting, the fairy fell down to her knees, crying into her hands.

"It's all my fault, I had to get caught up in this mess and it cost you your lives!" Maria thought to herself, back against the door for support.

It's all my fault.

After a few moments, she rose, casting a quick spell to repair the damage as she got dressed, head to toe in black. By the time she finished collecting herself, it was 11 o'clock, time to head down to the local church.

Taking a pause in between each step, Maria gently made her way down the staircase, nodding her head as the paintings gave their sympathies. Reaching the end, the fairy was completely in shock at the sight before her. All the staff of Hogwarts had formed a guard of honour leading through the courtyard.

"Minerva, this isn't really necessary-" she choked out, holding back tears as the witch wrapped a warm hand around her shoulder.

"We're your friends, and we want to support you through this, till the end," Minerva reassured, stepping into line.

The woven caskets were carefully carried down by Hagrid, Maria walking slowly behind them as they made their way down. At the gates of the chapel, the staff formed to lines either side of the door, lowering their heads as each tiny coffin passed. All that was left was for Maria to make her way behind them towards the altar.

The fairy was sitting in the first row of the small church, waiting for the service to begin. She wasn't a particularly religious person but she wanted her babies to be buried the right way, the muggle way; away from the magic that shortened their young lives.

Glancing over to her shoulder, she noticed nearly all of Hogsmead sitting behind her, supporting her more than ever. Maria was glad they gave her space, allowing her to mull over her thoughts. Beside her we're Minerva and Albus, shielding her from the rest of the chapel. She was upset to see neither Faragonda nor Grizelda were present, perhaps no one had told them.

Before she could dwell on it any longer, the priest immersed from a side room, bowing at the altar as he spoke.

"In the name of the father, son and holy ghost, amen. We are gathered here today to commemorate the souls of Julian and Amelia Lightly, who's existences were sadly cut short..."

He began to go through the usual funeral speech, now calling up Maria to say her eulogy. Shakely rising from her seat, she walked gradually up to the altar, the clicking of her heels the only sound on the silent chapel.

Unfolding a piece of paper from her dress pocket, the fairy began to tremor as she spoke, " For as long as I can remember, I always wanted to be a mother. Whether it be taking care of the children back home, or playing with my dolls, I knew that all I could ever dream of was having a child on my own."

"And I had two." Gulping back tears, Maria continued on, " But their lives were taken from me; stolen,  by the men who plague our towns and villages in search of power and glory."

Dabbing her eye, she took a breath before finishing off, " I will never get to see my children grow up. I will never get to see Julian ride a bike or Amelia dance like a prima ballerina. I will never get to see them strive in this world, so I cherish every moment we spent together, seldom as they were."

When the service was over, the coffin bearers started their way out of the church and dutifully Maria directly behind. Minerva held onto her elbow, leaving the chapel. Though when they reached the doors, the large crowd did not go unnoticed. Nearly all of Hogwarts students lined the path to the cemetery, headed by the marauders.

Wiping away her tears, Maria embraced them all, whispering words of thanks. They graciously nodded their heads, excusing the coffin bearers. The fairy raised her eyebrows at this but pride flooded her face as they split up, each pair carrying one of the small coffins up the path.

The slightly uneven ground and gravel was a completely new reason for misery, but she had known to expect that and was appropriately careful. While concentrating on every single step, she felt Albus stepping even closer to her. Instead of getting angry at that behaviour as she would usually do whenever she felt pitied or patronized, Maria managed to relax a little bit, knowing there was a shoulder available to hold on to should she need it.

Mentally preparing herself for the rest of the sermon, Maria stayed silent and unmoving, desperately trying to hold back emotions. As the priest started praying again and asking all attendees to say their last goodbyes, mourners began to drop their flowers into the grave.

Stepping forward to the grave, Maria spoke softly to the caskets, dropping a yellow rose into the double grave, " Mummy will always be here to look after you two, whenever you need her to."

Stepping back to her place, Maria put a fake smile on her face as people offered their condolences. She had to bite her cheek several times when people commented on the wonderful lives her children could have lived. She could feel Minerva's hand on the small of her back, grounding her and over time leaning into the comforting touch more and more.

At some point people started talking about Minerva and Albus supporting Maria, alternating between being astonished that Maria was so unemotional and the fact that many still believed her and Albus were an item, but nobody was too vocal about it. Most of the guests were old enough and well familiar with the pain of losing a loved one, comforting the fairy in any way they could.

A short while later finally the last person had said their condolences and the groups dispersed. Well aware that Maria did not like it when others saw her weak or in pain, her colleagues stayed for a moment longer at the gravesite. Though after the fairy shooed them off, they reluctantly left.

"We'll be back at the castle when you're ready Maria," Albus informed her, guiding the mourners back to Hogwarts.

Look down at the headstone, silent years escaped her eyes, blessing herself quietly and heading towards the gate, thankful of the silence as she rejoined the cortege.

The freshly dug ground flushly covered the top of the grave, levelling the new headstone. A neat font framed the front, the heavens gaining two more angels as the headstone read,

In loving memory of
Julian and Amelia Lightly
Born to the angels.

Though we have held you in our arms for a little while, we hold you in our hearts forever.

R.I.P

~~~~~~~

7

This chapter was way too emotional for me, it's hard losing a loved one. Also a heads up, updates may be seldom for the next two weeks as I'm heading into hospital for Cruciate ligament surgery. After the two weeks I should be back at it but for now, just take that there will be no updates for the next two weeks.

*The_lost_flower*