vi| The Attack on Hogwarts

*Edited:31/12/2019*

Start of flashback:

16-year-old Maria had just woken up from a terrible nightmare, a cold bead of sweat lay on her forehead, arms and legs tired from thrashing around in her sleep.

"Something's not right," she thought to herself, rubbing her arms due to the sudden drop in temperature.

Maria quickly put on her dressing gown and made her way out of the dormitory, careful not to wake anyone on her way to the portrait hole. Only one person knew of her particular circumstances, frankly, he was the only one she trusted. The corridors were bare of students but still held an eerie chill to them. Turning the corner down a less used path, she stopped, feeling as though she was followed but continued on anyway. She rounded another corner and travelled deeper into the castle. Suddenly, she was held back by a strong arm.

"Well well well, look what we have here"

"Now where would you be going at this hour Ms Lightly?" The stranger asked Maria in a mocking tone.

"Not now Riddle!" She sneered. "I must go to Professor Dumbledore's office immediately." She began struggling in his grasp and it took some effort for Tom to restrain her.

"What is so urgent that it can't wait until morning?!" Tom asked her incredulously, an agitated edge to his voice.

"None of your business Tom" Maria huffed as she finally managed to loosen his grip on her and was able to escape from him.

"Fine" he snapped "but if you won't tell me, I will just have to accompany you, seeing as I am a prefect." He added smugly, indicating to the shiny green and silver badge pinned proudly upon his chest.

Maria didn't bother to argue as she swiftly turned and strode in the opposite direction; having the need to tell Professor Dumbledore about her recent nightmare. He also happened to be the only person at Hogwarts who knew what she truly was so Maria felt safe with confining her secrets to the wizard.

Once she reached the door, she pounded on the wood as hard as she could, in hopes of alerting Dumbledore quicker.

"For the love of Merlin, if you bang any louder you'll wake the whole castle!" Tom hissed but Maria ignored him. To his ultimate surprise, Dumbledore opened the door rather quickly- only to see a panting fairy and a frustrated Slytherin.

Dumbledore watched the pair bicker back and forth with evident confusion, but also great amusement."Ah, Ms Lightly." He interrupted causing both to simultaneously whip their head towards him. Dumbledore merely smiled. "To what do I owe this pleasure at such an hour?"

Maria scratched the back of her neck sheepishly."Erm... well, I was wondering if I could speak to you in private? she insinuated, casting her eyes briefly towards Tom who merely rolled his eyes and raised his hands up in surrender.