15 |

please vote 🖤

"Are you ever going to tell me your name or do I have to just keep calling you Freckles?" His voice was like silk.

The plane hummed, making my silence more noticeable.

"I told you, I wasn't lying. My name is Quinn," And I wasn't lying, but I wasn't telling the truth either.

Quinn was my middle name.

A growl ripped through the air. Paxton stood up, breaking through the fabric of his seatbelt. He towered over me as I hunched back into the soft cushion below me.

We had a private plane, and for the past two hours, all I thought about was ripping his clothes off and joining the mile-high club. His towering presence above me didn't make it easier for these thoughts to go away.

His arm shot out and suddenly I could feel his hand connect with my chin, forcing it up so I was looking straight at him. His grip was like iron —there was no escape from his mesmerizing eyes.

I knew what he was about to do and it saddened me to think he would stoop this low.

His eyes turned dark as he continued to lock eyes with me —the only way to tell if a wolf was using an Alpha command.

"Tell me your first name."

He knew the truth; I was lying to him. I bit my tongue.

Literally.

I could taste the metallic blood and my hand instinctively went to my lip, my fingers wiping the non-existent drops from my pout. 

His command made me tingle all over. My body's magic fought against his, creating a newfound tension. It felt unnatural — one type of magic fighting another.

His body pressed closer to me. He was leaning down now and I could feel his breath on my neck.

I shivered involuntarily at the sensation.

His lips lightly brushed against my ear as he whispered. "You remind me so much of another girl I knew. And with you, I couldn't place it at first... but I can hear it. Your heart beats differently —not like any human, witch, or werewolf I know."

My heart was pounding but it was not of a supernatural cause, but because of him, and his proximity to me.

Embry's spell was wearing off; I was appearing as less human to everyone around me. Who knew magic had an expiration date?

How long would it be before he found out? Before everyone did.

His anger wasn't pushed down now. His chest swelled and fingers gripped the armrests of my seat. Paxton finally pushed himself away from my chair.

And I felt my heart sink. I wonder if he could hear that too.

He quickly turned and went back to the private bedroom in the back of the plane. Every step he took away from me the more I wanted to jump up and throw myself at him.

How badly I wanted to throw myself onto that bed and let him have me right there. I tightened my hand into a small fist —I knew the mate bond was causing such thoughts and temptations. I needed to get a grip on myself.

Ultimately, I decided that drifting off and leaning against the window was a better idea.

Unfortunately, the nightmares came quickly.

It was a side effect of having been dead.

~

It was that night, under the bright night sky, twenty years ago when my sister Artemis killed me. A baby girl had just been born, another heir of the Moon Goddess.