5 |

🖤PLEASE VOTE 🖤

The sense of loneliness was interrupted by the sudden feeling that I was being watched.

We all know the feeling. You feel like the prey being hunted. I didn't need to be the victim again today. I turned defensive, swinging my head around. I knew someone was there.

I could feel my neck stiffen and tense. A tingling sensation began to spread — and you can't explain poop how you know, but you just know it's from someone else's watchful gaze.

Yet, it wasn't just anyone's presence that made my body react this way.

I could feel the magic surrounding me.

It was the blue hair that gave him away; it was peaking out from where he crouched behind the bed. He had always had a strange sense of humour —just like my sister, Destiny.

"You can stop playing hide and seek Embry," I sigh. " I already know it's you." I say, crossing my arms and waiting.

He rose from his spot, hands up as if he was telling me he meant no harm. But I knew him well, he could cause a world of damage in the blink of an eye.

His grin made him look like the Cheshire cat, grinning ear to ear.

But I wasn't as happy to see him.

"What are you doing here?" I hiss, stalking my way towards the man. My eyes narrowed into slits as I glare at Destiny's mate.

"I'm a warlock," he rolls his eyes. "You think I didn't ensure no one could see me?"

I scoff at his reply, but know not to argue with his reasoning. Embry is a warlock —and a powerful one at that. He uses dark magic so frequently and masterfully, sometimes I wonder if he even has a soul left.

There is always a price for dark magic.

The words ring through me; Embry always tells the ones who need it what it will cost them. Sometimes, even a life.

"The Alpha of this pack just visited me." I reply, nervousness dripping from my tone. I usher Embry over to me, whispering the words that came from my mouth. He looks a little alarmed at what I said, but quickly masks it.

"You don't have to whisper," he says. "I put a charm in your bedroom. As long as I'm in here, we may speak freely."

This eases my nerves once more, but I still fret over how the Alpha came by to see me. Was he worried about me, or curious as to how I was doing? For an odd reason, it warmed me to think he cared... even slightly.

"How's Destiny?" I ask, feeling a hole in my heart where my sister is. "I miss her."

"She's doing well, but we couldn't risk her being found out in this territory to see you; the Alpha is familiar with her. For now, you are safe. He has no idea who you are, Quinn." He emphasizes my name, letting me know to continue under my alias for my own protection. "Try not to get too close to the Alpha. It isn't worth being found out."

"Did you know that I am on trial for seeking refuge in this pack?" I ask. "I'm freaking out here. Embry, I'm all alone. What if they don't accept me?"

Embry looks stricken. He purses his lips and thinks for a minute before responding to me. "Destiny told me that it will all work out. We have to trust her."

"Easy for you to say. I'm sure you guys are very comfortable together every night," I sneer. "Why did Destiny even do all of this for me, just for me to be on the run forever? For all of us to be fearful? I-I don't want this life."