4 |

No one said a word.

Words didn't need to be sound out loud to know that everyone was talking about me.

I knew enough about wolves to know that they could mind-link one another. Is that what they were doing? These were all of the thoughts running through my mind as I watch about two dozen people look back and forth at each other, and then back to me.

It was almost never-ending.

Luckily, it did end —and just on time. It only stopped when a powerful presence entered the room.   Of course, it was Alpha Paxton and a few others.

I could feel the attitude in the air flip. I watched as people sat up straighter; watching girls pull down their shirts a little farther, and men puff up their chests. I scoffed at the display of obedience, they all wanted to impress their alpha.

I didn't bother to turn at first, not until I heard the shrill voice of a werewolf ring out from behind me.

"Aalphaaaaa," the vowels were drawn out in a tone that was clearly unnatural for the speaker.

Her appearance threw me off, she was beautiful, almost like royalty. Her hair was wet, but the honey highlights peaking through perfectly complemented her olive skin and dark features.

Yet, Paxton, who stood beside her, instantly dismissed her beauty. His wet hair stuck to his forehead, giving away that he had just showered. I instinctively sniffed the air, breathing in his musk. When his fresh cologne hit my nose I felt an instant pull inside my gut.

Before my stomach dropped. They both had wet hair, it was clear they had been together only minutes ago; wrapped around each other in the shower.

Everleigh's touch made me realize that I was staring. I jolted my gaze away, not fully comprehending the words she whispered in my ears.

"That's Sadie, she and the Alpha have been fucking around... literally. It's been off and on since they were teenagers and the Alpha seems to think we are ignorant of what is going on. Come on, I will show you the grounds."

My brain buzzed at the thought. I don't know why it repulsed me. I didn't even know why I cared.

Everleigh walked in front of me, leading me to the training pads. Rounding the back of the packhouse I found a surprising amount of activity.

I hadn't even noticed I had stopped and stared until Everleigh coughed a little.

"Ever since Paxton took over he has encouraged both women and men to train, but we haven't expanded our yard yet, so it can always seem a little cramped."

I swelled with happiness at her words; growing up I wasn't even allowed to step foot near the training grounds, let alone, fight.

It was during my moment of bliss that I was interrupted by a flash of those honey highlights.

Her voice was no longer high pitched, the sudden change made me question who it was at first.

Sadie stood in front of me. I knew what was about to happen. It wasn't my first time being the new girl.

"Let's see what you've got newbie," her taunting tone seemed to echo in my ears. She didn't even wait for my answer before turning and walking towards the commotion.

Everleigh seemed like my conscious, telling me that I don't have to do it.

I knew what she meant.

You are human and she is a werewolf.

But I wanted to prove myself worthy — to her, to the pack, to Alpha Paxton. I wanted to belong in this pack.